Debating between waiting for upcoming 15" rMBP or getting a 5K spec'd out iMac? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by placidity44, Jun 7, 2016.

1. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I have just recently gotten a 12.9 iPad Pro and love it and I have a Spec'd out 2012 rMBP 15 that is still fast as all heck. I've always liked laptops but I was debating that since I already have a laptop and have gotten an iPP that I should get an iMac but the rumors of the OLED touch bar and being made thinner and touchID...IDK! Some thoughts on the matter?

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Wait till wwdc. It's less than 7 days away.

3. nStyle macrumors 6502a

I would personally keep the iPad Pro, sell the 15" rMBP, and go 27" 5k iMac - especially if you don't really require a portable workstation. The iPad should fulfill the lounging/light travel you do and a desktop is far superior for stationary use.

4. AxiomaticRubric macrumors regular

AxiomaticRubric

Rumours say we may have to wait even longer than that for the next rMBP announcement
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2016 ---
    Too it can be fun to use OS X on the iPad via Jump Desktop or some other remote desktop app. iPads are on the way to making Mac laptops redundant.

5. The_Apothecary macrumors newbie

Hi all...

My friend is buying a MacBook Pro.
    Apple hasn't announced anything new yet? But it seems on their Website they have the new MB-Pro's on there?

Shall i tell him to hold off buying until next week or something.

6. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Get the iMac if you don't need to carry your computer to school or work.

The iPad can do media consumption and simple computing needs.

But honestly, wait for it. The next gen of chips from AMD looks promising. I'm personally leaning towards the iMac 27" myself, even though I'm a laptop person connected to an external monitor.

For gamers, the new generation of GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA are a god send at the ridiculous prices. CPU from Intel is nothing that special, AMD seems dead in that space.

7. The_Apothecary macrumors newbie

DEFINITELY choose the iMac. Few reasons.
    Portability. The main thing you pay for in laptops is portability. It seems you have that covered with the iPad Pro.
    Performance for money. The iMac's will outshine a MacBook very easily
    The 5k Screen. These monitors are just so good, you'll enjoy working on it.

I've just bought a 27" 5k iMac, the one with AMD Radeon R9 M39 Graphics Card. Really great performance.

8. CE3 macrumors 6502a

You already have a fast MacBook and a big iPad, so unless you need the portability, go with the iMac. New and improved models might be around the corner, though.