Debating buying baseline iMac (already own macbook pro)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guitarwiz23, Aug 4, 2011.

1. guitarwiz23 macrumors member

I have a feeling eventually i will end up buying one to replace my desktop pc which is very old and frankly just a hassle to even have in my room. I will be starting college this fall and have a good bit of money saved up and will not be spending much as i am living at home. I already own a Macbook Pro 2011 13" baseline, which is why i don't know if i should get the iMac, if i did not have the laptop i think it would be a no brainer. I will also have a job during college so i will not be spending money that i cannot make back.

Basically my question is: should i get it now or wait until i need it?

2. Contiguous macrumors member

One of the best bits of advice I've heard when debating whether or not to buy something is: invest in yourself. If it is going to improve your situation or contribute significantly to the quality of your life, then you should buy it.

//philosophical soapbox

If you've got something that works perfectly, don't double down on it. Unless you actually needneedneed a second computer for your degree/classes. (Although, take my advice with a grain of salt. I wish I had this problem in school, my biggest debate was about whether or not I could afford a textbook or whether reading the reserve copy in the library would be OK.)

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

You seem like a candidate for a new TB Cinema Display. That would get you most of the benefits of an iMac without the hassle of syncing data between two machines (desktop and portable) - although I admit this latter issue is becoming easier as we move toward cloud computing increasingly.

If you feel the MBP is too slow, stick an SSD inside and you won't feel that any more - unless you're doing huge AV Rendering/Encoding tasks, in which case a full-blown iMac makes sense.

4. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Wait until you need it. The machines improve and the models that come out next year will be as far faster than the ones now are from the last years model. Ivy Bridge architecture will blow away sandy bridge.

5. guitarwiz23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses!

The Macbook Pro doesn't feel slow in any way, it is the fastest computer i have ever owned haha. I think i will just wait until the next iMac comes out and for the next back to school deal.