Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
The first part of the employment sign on bonus is gonna be available in the bank on Tuesday…. Wondering if I want to get a iPad Air with the magic kb, iPad Pro with the magic kb or a MacBook Air with a basic iPad to replace my iPad Pro 10.5 with the cracked screen….

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
What’s your use case? The basic iPad is pretty capable already, everything else is a nice to have bonus.
At the end of the day you can use Apple’s two week return period and test it all out yourself.

Reactions: chevyboy60013

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would get the iPad Pro if you are going to use it with a keyboard. You might wait for the new iPP to be announced and either get it or more sales should happen and lower prices for the 2021 version.

iPad air is also great with M1 chip but it just seems like a lot of money to spend on a device with a couple of constraints that you don't have on the Pro specially if you upgrade the storage to 256gb.

As an all in one device the Pro makes more sense to me. But I don't use an iPad in that way.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Well, headed to Chicago's "loop" downtown area early to go to my office. Decided I would stop in at the pawn shop there that I have gotten good deals on windows laptops at just to see what they had. Ended up getting a 2020 m1 MacBook Air 256gb, and a iPad Air 3rd generation 64gb for only $400.00. Both look like brand new, and letting the iPad Air charge, but using the macbok air m1 now and OMG the performance of this thing is amazing. I think I got a decent deal, although both items are used, $400.00 is much better than $1,200-$2,000.

Pede

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Personally if I had to decide today, I would go for the Macbook Air with basic iPad. I sold my MBA M1 to go all in on the iPad Pro 12.9 with magic keyboard. It’s a great device, but now I do sometimes miss the full MAC OS experience, and thinking about selling my iPad to get the MBA M2.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well, headed to Chicago's "loop" downtown area early to go to my office. Decided I would stop in at the pawn shop there that I have gotten good deals on windows laptops at just to see what they had. Ended up getting a 2020 m1 MacBook Air 256gb, and a iPad Air 3rd generation 64gb for only $400.00. Both look like brand new, and letting the iPad Air charge, but using the macbok air m1 now and OMG the performance of this thing is amazing. I think I got a decent deal, although both items are used, $400.00 is much better than $1,200-$2,000.
$400 each? very good deal if they are in good condition for sure! I was going to vote for the iPad and MacBook combo, ive been iPad and iPhone only for years and recently got a MacBook Air and very happy I did! Though I dont use my iPad nearly as much anymore. The MacBook airs are so portable and comfortable to use that I dont find much reason to pick up my iPad anymore.

Nickjames

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
I just sold my M1 MBA and bought the M1 Air. I don’t regret it at all. Since I have a studio display, I’m just waiting for the external display support then I’m all set!

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
$400 each? very good deal if they are in good condition for sure! I was going to vote for the iPad and MacBook combo, ive been iPad and iPhone only for years and recently got a MacBook Air and very happy I did! Though I dont use my iPad nearly as much anymore. The MacBook airs are so portable and comfortable to use that I dont find much reason to pick up my iPad anymore.
Basically the m1 MacBook Air he sold me for $300 and more or less gave me the iPad Air 3 because he had too many of them and wasn’t selling them plus when he opened his store I helped him set up the security cameras and such

• Love
Reactions: Student of Life

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
seems to be, playing with the m1 air now while letting the iPad Air update to 15.7. this MacBook Air is awesome, and I'm pretty sure the iPad Air 3 will be much nicer without the cracked screen that my 10.5 pro had.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
seems to be, playing with the m1 air now while letting the iPad Air update to 15.7. this MacBook Air is awesome, and I'm pretty sure the iPad Air 3 will be much nicer without the cracked screen that my 10.5 pro had.
haha I bet. My kids have the Air 3 and they absolutely love them. Watching shows, playing Minecraft and Roblox while doing FaceTime group calls. besides missing the pro motion from your pro, its a great little machine

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
MBA + iPad is a great combo. You can use the iPad for reading (Books/Journals/PDFs), markups, and meeting notes. The MBA is best for productivity apps (iWork/MS Office) and multi-taking. Also, the iPad can serve as an auxilary screen with Side Car and Universal Control.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
MBA + iPad is a great combo. You can use the iPad for reading (Books/Journals/PDFs), markups, and meeting notes. The MBA is best for productivity apps (iWork/MS Office) and multi-taking. Also, the iPad can serve as an auxilary screen with Side Car and Universal Control.
It’s so awesome how they all work together, the iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. How anyone can say they don’t like that I don’t know. Makes things very convenient.

Reactions: Student of Life
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.