Debating new iMac purchase, any advice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robin.Robin, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Robin.Robin macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've long lurked on these boards and could use some assistance. I am getting my kids (9, 11) a new computer for Christmas, and starting to think about it now b/c of back-to-school deals. It would be nice to capitalize on a few specials.

I was going to get a macbook, but we already have one and for a few different safety reasons, I think a stable desktop type of computer would be best. If we ever need to transport anything, they could just use my macbook.

We are debating several different types, and was wondering what you all would get? I'd like it to last a very long time (I know, wishful thinking). Any thoughts on new? refurbished? Style? I immediately was drawn to the iMac, but then saw news of the mini and not even sure what that is or how that works (does it have a screen?)

So, while I'm leaning toward the iMac, I still feel not educated enough to make the purchase. What do you all think? What would you do?

Many thanks in advance, I am grateful!

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

You will get lots of different opinions on this one but to offer a short one from my point of view I would pass on a new Mini because there is no optical drive and requires the purchase of a monitor also.

For kids, keep it simple and easy not to mention fun at that age. The iMac would be great.

3. poppakristof macrumors newbie

In my biased opinion (have a new 27" iMac) I would go iMac.
    Factor these purchases in when considering a mini.
    Keyboard, mouse, screen and possibly optical drive.
    You can use any mouse but I think a wired apple keyboard is the way to go.
    Optical drive is iffy, I have one and have only used it to read the install DVD. Which I promptly made a flash drive of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

If it's for the kids I would get a refurbished 21" and even the lowest spec will be able to handle what they'll most likely be doing on it. Just keeps everything simple and concise.

5. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Very sound advice; I too would have recommended this. In addition, if your children's software requires Windows you'll also have that option with Bootcamp.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I love the mini my kids have, but I'm inclined to agree that skipping the current model because of the lack of optical drive is a good idea. They are always finding stuff to watch, or other disks to stick in there. It would drive me crazy to have to have another solution for them (they are 7 & 12, but the 12yo is special needs and not really like a 12yo either). For my 15yo to use it wouldn't be as bothersome.... I don't think.

We have a 22" monitor on ours, and based on that I'd be apt to buy them the 21.5" iMac.

7. sbb155 macrumors 6502

refurb 21 is a good way to go..
    or new 21 is also ok
    would NOT go 27 - too massive for those kids

8. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Get an iMac...21 inches :) Base model has plenty of power and is a GREAT price.

Kids can't pick up an iMac it's too heavy...and therefore it is more prone to lasting a bit longer..

I would never let a child use something small and expensive...

9. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

That's a nice reason for an iMac, assuming your kids aren't 'confident' enough to try and lift it, only to drop it on a hard surface face down :p

I'd, too, recommend going with a refurbished 21 iMac. An i3 or older i5 is more than enough for pre-teens. Of course, the base 21 iMac isn't that much more expensive than a refurb...

10. bushman4 macrumors 68020

IMAC will give the kids all the alternatives and features that they need. Refurbished could be beneficial as price is cheaper. Regardless of what you finally decide be sure to get Apple Care to sleep better at night.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

$678 Gets you a new Mini including the USB SuperDrive. No keyboard or mouse. $100 for wired of each, $140 for wireless of each including the trackpad instead of mouse, or much much cheaper for a best buy wireless or wired equivalent. You can get a 20-22" monitor for $100-150 at best buy or online.

For 800-850 you can get a new space saving Mini, with a superdrive for it, and add a decent monitor and some cheap mice and keyboard options. A little bit more gets you the Apple mouse and keyboard.

Or for $1019 you can get this year's newest iMac in a 21.5" refurbished, which you really can't tell isn't new. For $929 you can get last years, but you do give up too much in my opinion to save $90.

But if you go with the Mini, spend the extra $100 and get it with 4GB RAM instead of 2.

12. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I agree with the others about a 21" iMac makes life simple and easy.