Debating new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bad1550, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bad1550 macrumors regular

i currently have the mid 11 iMac 21.5"

Getting more into photography - I was thinking an upgrade to the Model:
    ME088LLA 27"?

Also has anyone ordered from ABT - I can get 10% CB Discover and no tax

Thx

2. jcr918 macrumors regular

I got mine from Apple. I got a new Imac I was thinking of waiting since it's 2014 you know Apple wants some 2014 models on the market some time. After doing some research it seems it will be awhile before any new Imac come out.

I would go ahead and buy if you got the funds. I got a maxed out 27" imax with a 3TB fusion drive

3. MTL18 macrumors regular

I am also upgrading because of photography, but I am waiting.

Two reasons: iMac is on old screen technology and does not come standard with SSD. Upgrading to SSD adds significant coin to the purchase.

I suspect the 2014 model will rectify both of these issues and will be worth the wait.

No proof, purely my own opinion. Especially after the release of the $699.99 monitor by Dell...

4. jcr918 macrumors regular

Why not go with the fusion drive? I have a early 2013 Macbook pro retina with SSD and it's sata I am getting about 480 read and with this new fusion drive in my new imac ill get about 600 +with PCI.

I think it will be at least September before a new imac come's out and I doubt you will see much maybe retina or 4k but as a extra upgrade over all lower cost options and a little performance increase.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How is an ips panel old screen technology? Yes there are better screens out there, but I'd rather go Eizo or NEC rather than anything by Dell. People who just look at the 4k and think it must be the best out there. A bit like the Nokia 42 megapixel camera phone. Some people think its better than a 24 megapixel DSLR because they get sucked in by the numbers.
    Other things to consider are colour gamete, contrast ratios, conformity across the panel and matt screens.
    To the OP the iMacs are nice. But there are better options out there. Have a look at the Eizo CG276 and NEC Spectraview Reference 272.