Debating of buying my parents a iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TC400, Nov 17, 2011.

1. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

for Christmas.
    I want their christmas to be HUGE this year!
    Im sick of having to fix their DELL desktop when it gets viruses and just Windows in general lol.
    And its going to be 8 years old in 2012.
    Im thinking of a refurbished 27 inch iMac.
    Willing to spend a little bit more if I have to.
    They like the big screen and the all in one design of the iMac. (who doesn't)
    I have a 21.5 inch my self they are kinda jealous :p
    However my mom really likes my iPad. She wants one of those too.
    Obviously the iPad is cheaper.
    Confused on what to do.
    I know this is a lot of money but I'm going to try my best here.

2. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

If you're young and haven't well established your savings account with enough money to live on for two years without working, I'd recommend you to go for just an iPad.

As much as you'd want to spoil your parents, which I imagine many of us would want to do, try to first save up and invest your money, in which you'll have even more spare money in the future. First establish yourself some grounds.

If you're already well established in terms of money, go right ahead and spring for the iMac to blow your parents away. :)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If they are using a very old computer, they don't need the IPS iMac (unless money is no object).

Get Mac Mini with a display or one of the 21" iMac.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There Is The Learning Curve

To consider too. An 8 year old PC compared to a decent refurb iMac is going to blow them away. Maybe leave the iPad out of the equation for a while and as your Mom gets used to OSX she could have one later?

Not wishing to intrude, but if they are a little old (like me (50's) a large display would be best. The double tap zoom will be a feature they are going to love.

I have a little pull in the :apple: dept, and PM me if you want more information.

5. Xikum macrumors 6502

It really depends on funds. Buying them an iMac would be a present they would never forget, but dont put yourself into debt for it-your parents wouldn't want that.

If you can afford it (comfortably) then the iMac would be a brilliant present. If not, the iPad is still a terrific gift, and I think they would equally appreciate having one of their own.

6. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

If you are considering the 27, then why not compromise and get a 21.5 and an iPad. Best of both worlds?

I really want to buy my parents a Mac, but simply don't have the $$ :cool:

7. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

With the greatest of respects you are fixing an XP machine which is bound to have a ton of problems, maybe look at a Windows 7 PC as they will be familiar with the way it works i.e. explorer, email, file saving etc... a good laptop now days runs fast and is far cheaper than an apple product.

8. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Ya know. That DELL has NEVER had any issues. Too bad DELLs aren't like that today lol. Im really wondering how many more years it can go.
    Its still pretty fast. But with M$ starting to cut support for XP and XP being pretty unsecured from what I understand I would like for them to have something newer. They love the design of the iMac and how cool OS X is.

----------

I thought long and hard about that.
    But they said the 21.5 inch is too small.
    I don't want them to get something they wouldn't be happy with.
    Maybe the iPad could be something later down the road.

----------

I have a substantial amount of savings. My parents have been saving for me every since the day I was born. I try not to spend it. But recently I had to take out $800 bucks to pay a huge insurance bill and I just took out another $200 for my first iPhone bill. However with me working a lot this holiday season nd my new full time job money should be much of a issue. And its not like I can't recoup the money. They've been wanting a iMac for a long time now. And I think now is a great time to switch.

----------

Thought about the Mini but my mom hates wires lol.
    So thus thats where the iMac comes in.

----------

I agree both of my parents are in their 40s. We have bis displays all over the house my iMac we have to flat screens one is 63 inches and the other is 42. I think they will enjoy the 27 inch very much. I think getting a iPad now is too late. A new one will be around in a few months.

9. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Your situation is pretty similar to what I went through about 18 months ago. My parents had a DELL laptop and I had to sort stuff out all the time. It was just a hassle for everyone.

I decided to get my parents a Macbook but didn't have the money for a new one and so get them a used one but in excellent condition. It was still more expensive than a new Windows Laptop.

They loved it. It's had no problems and satisfies their basic computing needs. To them, it feels much more stable so they are willing to try more things with it as they don't feel like they're going to break anything. They put all their pictures in iPhoto, have ripped their music in itunes etc.

I really hope the investment works out for you. Convenience and stability are worth a lot, especially for older users.

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502

If you're comfortable with it and if it fits your needs you can find a 2009 27" iMac on eBay for around $1100.

11. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yeah but I'd rather get it though Apple.

----------

Glad we share a similar story.
    I prefer to buy them new and or refurbished.
    Wouldn't feel right to get them something used.
    Thats just me.
    Hopefully with the Mac they can do things they have never done before.

12. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Haha are you sure you aren't my brother?

I went through the same thing with my parents. I swear there is a shuddering sound your soul makes once you hear that phone call with the "can you help me with..."

/shudder

I started them small. last Xmas I got dad an iPod touch, he doesn't use it a LOT but it was a start. My mom and I went to purchase her a "new computer" when she came down for a visit and instead of a notebook I convinced her to go with the original iPad. Which after the gentle, initial learning curve, she LOVES. So much to my surprise when I told her about iPad2 and the upgraded features especially facetime etc I told her if she was interested that if she chips in 200.00 plus Apple Care I would upgrade her if she gave me her old iPad... she said yes. Dad, from his experience with the iPod touch can use it easily also.

This summer I finally bit the financial bullet and told dad that if he would chip in 500.00 and Apple care I would foot the remaining for a 21.5" iMac. We went to the store where they addressed his issues, needs and questions and of course when he found out how much money it would cost, he wouldn't let me pay that much... he offered half the cost.

I have NOT received one phone call since this past October regarding computer issues other than he may have forgotten how to do something he covered in a One to One session.

The piece of mind is worth the cost and I love seeing dad not stressed about using a computer and actually feeling a connection with his machine.

Instead of buying your folks two things, set up a partial payment agreement like I did, perhaps then getting both is within your means.

Good luck.

WW

13. lamboman macrumors 6502

I'm surprised by the answers on here, I'd expect most to say that their parents should snap up the iMac!

I'd say that a 21" iMac is a great idea. I'd say that things like the dock, and the consistency in the UI (with menus always being in the same place, etc) will make the Mac a lot easier to use, if they are struggling with the PC.

If they are competent, you might as well keep them on what they are familiar with.

In all fairness to it, Windows 7 is more reliable than XP, and certainly Vista, was, at least from my experience. However, reliability doesn't even come close to the Mac, again from my experience.

14. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

What a nice guy, I wish I could afford to buy my folks a nice setup like a new 27" iMac.
    I wish I could be there to see their faces when they open it! I bought my mum a 15" powerbook 1.67 a few years ago (around the time of the intel switch) and the look on her face was the best present I could have asked for.

15. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

If your parents can use a pc then they will have no problem with a Mac, some of the responses telling you to keep them with something familiar are wrong. This past summer I gave my mom my Macbook and she's been able to figure it out pretty much all by herself. I could count the times she's asked for help since then on one hand and still have fingers left over.

In your position I'd get them a 21" and I would wait for black Friday to order it just incase there is a discount.

16. 4zuresky macrumors member

Get both iMac and iPad

Instead of getting a 27" iMac, get a 21.5" iMac NEW which should only come out to be 1.3k. And get a lower end iPad 2 which comes out to 500-600? So if they can actually use both if they wanted to. But like someone has said in the previous posts, how much are you willing to spend and what are your funds? :)