Debating on buying a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a MBP or not, I do have a 2011 iMac aswell as the new iPad. Anybody that has both a MacBook + iPad, which do you use more? Also if I buy a MBP it will probably be a late 2011 13". I might buy refurbished from Apple to save some cash. Is the RAM setup just like the iMac? 2x2 2gigs with 2 open slots? Or is there just 2x2 2 gig? Because if I get it, I'll be upgrading the RAM. Thanks for any help!

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

3. antseg macrumors member

I had a Macbook and iPad. They don't really provide the same functions, as I used to iPad for trips other times when I didn't want to lug something so big around but still wanted to do the basics and used my macbook for word processing and the larger tasks.

I eventually stopped using my iPad because I rarely found myself in situations where the weight/benefit of a macbook made me bring the iPad around (especially at university).

Honestly, unless you're doing things like taking notes or needing something heavy duty for travel/work I'm sure you can get away with an iMac at home and iPad around. To be fair, you would have realized you needed a laptop if you needed a laptop. You would've found yourself needing something more than your iPad when mobile.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I've had the iPad2 for about a year and use it all the time. It has put my PC laptop pretty much in retirement except for Quicken, flash websites and career-specific programs.

Recently, I replaced the PC laptop with a MBP and am now learning the fine points. I have to say I will be very grateful for the OS on the MBP to be Mountain Lion. The iPad is SOOOOO much simpler to work with, compared to the MBP. But, each has its uses ... it really depends on what you will be doing with it.

I have Creative Suite 3 (Adobe) that I use professionally and will be adding it to the MBP shortly. I couldn't use this on the iPad. So, there are limitations to the iPad, yet the iPad has great abilities beyond the MBP... for now. The variety of apps available to the iPad vastly expand it capabilities in a different direction from the MBP.

I guess - bottom line - is a person really needs both. Once iCloud unites the MBP beyond email/contacts/calendar, this may change. For now, though, each has its strengths.

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I see your points, I love my iPad. I use it all the time mostly for YouTube, web browsing, and as an eReader. I do play some PC games (all of which thankfully support OS X) and for example, I'm out of town ATM and it is kind of annoying to not have that ability. If I get one, I'm pretty sure I want the Pro over the Air, I like the extra specs for about the same price :p (even if it adds a little weight)

6. naxir macrumors newbie

I think it entirely depends on what you do when not at home. The iPad and similar tablets are best suited for content consumption. If you watch local or streaming video, browse the internet but not post extensively, etc, the iPad is likely your best bet. If you primarily engage in activities which require text input, MBP is your best bet.

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Well, I mean I'm not debating between them. I have no intention of selling the iPad, i just kinda want a MacBook pro also :p

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I'm a big apple fan, but I disagree with this "apple propaganda" as I call it. I use my ipad mostly for games. for internet browsing, having: more screen real estate, the use of flash, and better ergonomics is better, so I use my MBP. I tried using the ipad exclusively for a while, but I got neck pains from always looking down. yes, there is a stand, but it won't stay put as you push on the screen, so it always sits in your lap and you look down always....

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have a late 2011 13"MBP and an iPad. I have to say I always use my MBP over my iPad. iPads are a great tool but its for media consumption and possibly some of the lightest note talking possible. I really like both of them but my MBP is where its at. I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB and ordered and SSD for it. Upgrading the RAM gave me some performance gains and its was pretty cheap to do. I would highly recommend upgrading your RAM. Also be prepared to ignore your iPad a bit, once your get a MBP you'll see what I am talking about. Overall though toll be very happy with a 13" MBP. I love mine, its the dual core i7 with a 750GB HDD and I think its the perfect machine. I love the 13" form factor and know I don't need a quad core, I probably don't even need an i7 but figured what the hell why not. I bought mine new, but going refurb is a great idea, had I known about Apple refurb I probably wold have went that way. Refurbs are cheaper, rigorously tested by Apple, carry a full year of Applecare, and are eligible for additional Applecare to be purchased. My advice would be to go refurb and save yourself some money and get a decent monitor with the difference.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think you're set if you've got a pretty new iMac and an iPad. Seems like you just fancy another Apple gadget - I know the feeling!

11. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

The MBP will give you a second screen for someone to multitask with - not sure if you live alone or not. Also, MBP will let you do things, that get harder on an ipad - such as intensive research, where you are cutting and pasting phrases/websites (for me it's easier on my MBP). Everyone has their own uses for each and how they use each one. You probably won't be disappointed that you got a MBP though!

12. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'd probably skip on the 2nd monitor since I have an iMac :p

13. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Didn't even realize that for some reason.