Debating on buying an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trailbikerider, Aug 29, 2012.

1. trailbikerider macrumors newbie

Well here's the deal, I'll be going into Junior year of college next week, and with nothing to really have to carry around with me, I want to purchase an iPad. I have an iPhone 4, and an HP laptop with a 17" screen, which SUCKS to bring anywhere.

Any benefits to buying an iPad for school use? I'm looking at it as something easy to carry around, rather than lugging my huge laptop everywhere.

2. trailbikerider thread starter macrumors newbie

3. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

You can use it to take notes and record lectures. Also, you can use it for textbooks if your institution utilizes the service. I'm getting one soon, and plan on bringing it to class instead of my MBP, depending on the course. I'll probably utilize it for taking notes mostly, but also for editing documents on the go with Pages. Most of my use, though, will be for casual stuff like browsing and reading.

4. SprSynJn Guest

I used a pretty light Fujitsu laptop during my college run, but I'd rather have had an iPad back then. Much more light and versatile. I'd say go for it. Even if you don't use it for class, the thing has so many uses it's unbelievable.

5. Ipaduser88 macrumors newbie

Have you ruled out a MacBook air? That seems like it could be a good choice and also allows you to update you laptop. Perhaps there even could be some best buy trade in value for your old laptop.

You still need a laptop. Why not replace the beast with something light and useful?

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Don't bump -- especially after a few hours of posting. If you urgently need answers then a discussion forum is the wrong place to ask.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
    If you're in a hurry there are countless prior threads on this topic that you can refer to. The benefits of anything for school is a subjective matter as not all students (or even people in general) will benefit equally from the same thing or have the same preferences. Here's just one search example if you're having problems finding relevant threads. Change up the keywords a bit to find more threads.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ipa...p.r_qf.&fp=fe97cc68227e2ceb&biw=1024&bih=1155

7. tann macrumors 68000

If getting a new laptop (like an air or retina pro) is out of the question then the iPad is a pretty good uni lecture piece of equipment.

I personally use mine all the time now in lectures, I have goodreader (so I can annotate pdf's of slideshows) and also some notes apps which you can use to handwrite notes in (tho a stylus is recommended).

The battery life coupled with the fact it's so portable really makes it nice to take along.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Seems like you listed your reason right there.

9. trailbikerider thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up picking up a black 16gb iPad 3 today. Was going to just get the 2, but they had an Open Box special for $465, so I picked that up. The screen just kills it for the extra 65 bucks.

10. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Nice deal - where did you pick up your open box iPad?

11. trailbikerider thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally I wouldn't do this, but I got it from best buy.

12. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

That's not such a terrible thing... ;) Congrats on the new toy! :)

13. temoring macrumors newbie

Still Need Laptop

I love my Ipad, but it does not do a lot of things that my laptop can. I have figured how to do a lot of things that I was originally told my Ipad could not do, but it was a pain in the butt to get some to work right. The Ipad is good for browsing, writing SOME papers, research, quick look ups, games etc. I have issues to this day with printing off of it, I don't have a e-printer and put a program on that should have helped this, but it did not.

Get a MAC...and an iPad at some point....