Debating on getting a 12" rMB. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by placidity44, Aug 10, 2016.

1. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I currently have a 2012 rMBP 15" and it's excellent except for it's size. I also have a 12.9" iPad Pro which has supplanted it greatly. I'm looking at getting a 12" rMB and in four or five months or whenever refreshed i'm looking at getting a 5K iMac. I do e-commerce for work and consume content. I'd like to dabble in iOS development but that won't be for a while. I'm debating if I should just keep my 15" since I use my iPP mostly anyway and eventually get an iMac or whether or not a 12" can suffice as an only machine for a few months. My dream setup is 27" iMac / 12" rMB / iPP. It certainly makes sense to keep the 15" as the 12" rMB may seem redundant but it's just so tempting. I don't use ports very infrequently

2. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Again all of your questions have been answered in various threads. Save youself some time waiting for responses and do a search and I know you will find the answers to all your questions.

Although a summary is this, YES the 12" will do well for you, just a bit smaller than 15."

3. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I disagree. The 12 is a ultrabook it will do everything you want just not near as well as a pro. The pro will always be vastly faster. So if your ok with it chugging some then go for it.

I know i am going to snap one up for on the go computing. I would never ask it to be my one and only sole machine in the world. This is a great replacement for an iPad pro

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I don't have or need an iPad, but otherwise this is now my setup (plus my iPhone). As a secondary machine to my iMac, the baseline rMB has exceeded my expectations so far. The performance has been fine for what it is, and excellent considering the fantastic portability it brings.

I wrote more about my first impressions here.

5. bjet767, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

bjet767 macrumors 6502a

You disagree with what?

I never posted the 12" would be as fast as a new pro, I posted it would do all of what the thread starter want to do well, but with a smaller screen tha the 15."

Remember the poster has a 2012 pro and the big iPad Pro. He or she could dump both for the 12" MB.

BTW Benchmarks
    The 2012 i7 2.6 pro 4 cores 11844
    2016 12" i7 MB 2 cores 6471

4 is faster than 2

The 64 single core scores are almost the same.

6. pookitoo, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

for his use case i think he 'll feel the 2016 rMacbook perfect and snappier ;) (don't look to much the bench but the use case ;)

7. tdbrown75 macrumors member

tdbrown75

I have a 27" iMac / 12" rMB combination and could not be happier. I even ditched my iPad altogether. The 12" Macbook is so small and light I'd rather just use over an iPad due to the full functionality of OS X. When I need heavy lifting, I head over to my desktop.

Tim

8. Starshadow macrumors member

Starshadow

People don't mention the fan-less design enough of the new Macbook.

I have the 2016 M5 and it runs most things I need it to do (Xcode, MYSQL, Python development and games) silently. The fact the fans aren't blaring whenever I do anything is as important for me as it's weight.

9. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I have 27" iMac/ 12.9" iPP combination... I had last year model 12" rMB, but I prefer the flexibility of the iPP and when I need to some heavy tasks then I head over to the desktop.

In terms of flexibility I mean be able to use touch screen & key input w/ a keyboard.

10. LouisLoh macrumors regular

I came from a similar situation. I have the 2012 15" rMBP, still do. Its failing keyboard and trackpad were the final nails in the coffin for me to get the 2016 rMB M5. I was contemplating selling my 15", but instead decided to relegate it to a desktop setup, seeing that it works fine internally. My current set up comprises the 15" rMBP hooked to a Dell U2515H, the 2016 rMB and the iPP 9.7.

Have you considered getting an external monitor for your rMBP? This way you don't have to wait for the iMac refresh. Also, is your rMBP giving you problems, or is it working just fine? How much would you value the portability of the rMB (i.e. are you going to be travelling a lot with it)?

11. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I ditched my 2014 15" MBP for an M7 2016 macbook. Don't miss the 15 one bit. Macbook does everything I need very well and is two pounds.

12. placidity44 thread starter macrumors 6502

placidity44

I haven't had a single issue with my 2012 15" rMBP. I've had it for three years and it only has 212 cycles on the battery and everything is running super smoothly.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

A rMBP, a rMB, an iPad Pro and a 5K iMac sounds like a lot of overkill for media consumption and even heavy duty workloads!