debating on purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SmoothJ, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. SmoothJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2010
    #1
    Currently I have a Dell E6410 with the following specs:

    Intel Core i7 M 640 (2.8 GHz)
    4GB RAM
    500GB HD
    1440x900 Display (14.1in)
    NVIDIA NVS 3100M
    Backlite KB
    Complete Care till ~2013
    Docking station

    Now granted it meets or exceeds the specs of the new MBPs in some areas, but I have always wanted my own MBP.

    Currently I have a i7 17in MBP that I use for work, but its my companies not mine. Plus with all the "spyware"/restrictions they have installed, I do not use it for personal use.

    I know this is a mac site, and everyone (for the most part) is "go mac", but from a common sense point a view...

    Should I sell the Dell and get a MBP, or should I just keep the Dell since its a decent machine?

    Please let me know what everyone thinks :)
     
  2. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #2
    Personally unless you are having problems, your dell is a good machine so I would keep it for a bit longer. At least wait until Lion is preinstalled, probably in fall, but I'd probably wait one or two more revisions. Of course since you're coming here you probably want a Mac so the new MacBook Pro's are great you wouldn't regret it if you bought one.
     
  3. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2010
    #3
    I love the Dell as well, but I have been longing to get a MBP for the longest time. I wonder how much I could get for the setup above...
     
  4. cotak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #4
    JUST Do it :D

    But seriously if you want it and you can get a decent amount for your current laptop why not? It's not always about counting the beans.
     
  5. whyzdom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    #5
    That's right! Sometimes it's about counting the beans from the next few months in this month's bean count. Of course that means the next few months will be lean on beans, but that's ok. One less bean a month doesn't = starvation, especially since God invented Ramen Noodles! ;)
     
  6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #6
    ...with Lion coming later/next year and the current spec of your machine with warranty I would wait...

    I have an 11" MBA that I like and got for $854 from our base PX but I'm not convinced that I'm best served with the C2D CPU/nVidia 320m vs. returning it today (last day of my 14) and waiting for Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge to hit the 11" MBA's...

    I have a whitebook and a HP DM4 i5 laptop (its only 4.2 lbs so its lighter than my whitebook) and they both run fine so I've decided to wait a revision or two before getting a MBA again...

    Good luck with your decision!
     

Share This Page