Debating on returning MBP 13" TB -- help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Jul 24, 2017.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I finally upgraded from my mid-2009 MBP last week to a 13" MBP with TB. When I first got it, I really liked it a lot but now that the initial novelty of the TB has faded, I'm pretty unimpressed and I'm debating on returning it for a nonTB model, which apparently has much better battery life.

I just haven't found a use for the TB yet, besides scrubbing through videos on YouTube. Ideally this would be nice to have on Netflix, HBOGo, etc. but they haven't implemented it yet.

What I found most shocking was that the TB model has worse battery life than the previous models. From iFixIt, the 13" 2016 TB had 49 Whr, the 13" 2016 w/o had 54 Whr, and the 13" 2015 had 74.9 Whr. The difference is astounding.

The thing keeping me with the TB model is the ports on both sides and the improved processor. I don't know how much it really affects performance, but I know it's better.

Do you think the TouchBar will have more practical uses in the future? Or do you think Apple will end up axing it soon? Any help/opinions would be great.

2. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Basically, thats what the TB is for. It isn't a revolution but it should ease your workflow. Kind of similar to 3D-touch on the iPhone. Of course, it will evolve and developers may include more and more features. I can imaging, the TB gets bigger and bigger with every upcoming MBP. The real benefit of the new MacBooks is the USB-C/Thunderbold connection. remember, that the non-TB MBP only has two ports. If I were you, I'd definitely stick with it and enjoy it. These are just numbers. Apple is a company, that makes great products; not products that are great on specs.
    Especially the possibility to add external GPUs ist fantastic. And remember if you really have concerns about Battery-life, you can even charge your MBP in your car or everywhere with an USB-out.

3. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I went through a similar thing. Here and there I find little reasons to like the touch bar. I haven't noticed any really bad battery life. I keep a charger in my bag at all times just in case. Even USB-C is growing on me.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Welcome to thin & light, tricks & bells. Who knows where Apple will go with it. I do know I wont be going with them while pulling stunts like this with the MBP. All I can say is stick with it for now as you've already spent out, you'll loose by swapping the notebook so soon.

Apple is now in a state of diminishing returns, we have lost so much for the sake of a few mm, reducing the battery capacity was one of the more universally stupid design moves...

Q-6

5. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Well I have a non TB Mbp and happy with it. TB is currently useless. Not many developers have implemented it yet.

I dont know about the battery life difference but I in a couple reviews the non TB version has slightly better battery life but nothing really significant.

6. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Well, if you're thinking of getting the nTB version, today is the day. BB has them on sale for $150 off, one day only...July 24. Unless, of course, you know of a better deal out there.

7. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

the novelty wear off after 3 days of using it, and it actually hindered my daily task, everything from lower raising volume/screen brightness, keyboard brightness/ became a two stage access instead of reaching from muscle memory and doing it instinctively.

the slower performance shouldn't be noticeable at all, unless you doing video encoding and such.

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

People really need to stop looking at physical size of something to determine if it's better or not. The 2015 had a 75Whr battery because it was older technology and not as efficient. The newer models use a 50Whr battery because they are far more efficient and capable, the cell structure is more tightly packed allowing for increase in energy storage and charging speed.

Seriously, if larger battery always equalled better battery, then your iPhone would have the battery of a 1980s Motorola wouldn't it?

They both have 10 hours, it's easier to do this in 2017 with a smaller battery thus saving weight, and charging time. This is a good thing, technology shrinks and evolves.

Are you thinking of swapping the computers purely because you don't find the touchbar to be too useful? I'm confused, I don't find it particularly useful but the rest of the machine far outpaces the nTB model. And either way it's far more useful than a fixed set of keys. If you don't like it, that's fair, but it's a bit cutting off the computers nose to spite its face isn't it?

If you don't need the power of the TB and want to save a few quid then downgrade. If you think not having a bar is going to improve your experience then you'll be sorely mistaken and likely want to swap again.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Had Apple applied common sense instead of pandering to the Starbucks crowd the 15" 2017 MBP would have over 25% more runtime on battery 13" MBP 30% more so. For those of us that actually use their portable Mac's on the go to get work done that means something. As for 10 hours only if you scrupulously stick to Apple's test regime, start actually using the notebook, battery life drops dramatically and thats when additional battery capacity would be slightly useful.

The thin & light joke has run it's course, now just an exercise in diminishing returns, no wonder Apple now has so few professional users on the platform...

Q-6

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I purchased the 2016 15" MBPro TB and returned it when Apple fixed my 2011 MBA. Anyway, I'm ready to repurchase again, and it will be a 2017 13"MBPro non-TB 256SSD. I found I had no need for the TB.

11. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

Please do yourself a favor and download a trail for BetterTouchTool. You are able to customize the Touch Bar all the different ways you want, and really worth checking out before making a decision.

12. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the great responses. It just concerns me that Apple isn't going to do much to make the TouchBar more useful. I didn't see it mentioned once during the High Sierra preview