Debating on the right Macbook pro for me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 46&2mr, Aug 18, 2011.

1. 46&2mr macrumors newbie

My current work computer is starting to act up and I know its on its last leg as the mobo is going or cpu one, none the less I will be buying a new computer when this happens.

I am looking into apple for the first time now. I have always kind of wanted one but ended up getting a windows based notebook. Currently using Asus g50.

Let me get to my question. Here are my needs:
    - Portable for travel
    - Fast and responsive
    - Atleast a solid 100g hdd, sdd does not matter to me.
    - All the other basics I know the MBP have (mail, browser, webcam, microphone)
    - Must be able to connect to external monitor. At home It will be connecting to my Samsung SyncMaster 245BW monitor.

Things that I want but do not need:
    - I would like to be able to play a few games while away w/ work. I enjoy playing Starcraft 2, would like to be able to play the diablo 3 game when/if it ever gets released.
    - Netflix or other streaming movie services

So my request are simple and from looking at the specs of the different MBP's on the market atm all seem to meet the demand so I thought why not go w/ the 13 inch base model and save a 1000 bucks :D Also be the most portable option. Then the "typical" male side of me started to come out and I thought man I think I might wish I had more power so the 15inch top of the line started to look great but the cost is way up there and maybe overkill for my needs. So Here I am wanting the 13 incher, But thinking maybe the 15inch base mode may be the perfect middle of the road, plus im not sure the 13 would be able to play my games unless on crappy settings (I could be wrong though)

ANYWAYS, What do you guys think? I'm brand new to macs so I wanna get started on the right foot and not be kicking my self in the butt if I buy something that just isn't needed or isn't going to be enough.

BTW my fiance' bought an imac (base 21.5 inch) model and I have been loving it. It seems to be doing everything she needs and things I would use it for also, perfectly. So now I feel like I gotta have one because I keep wanting to play w/ her's.

Thanks in advance
    -B

2. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

I haven't tried any games yet on my 13", but so far I love it! It's the perfect size. At first I was worried about the screen size, but after using it I've come to realize its ideal. Not too big, not too small.

3. LostParadox macrumors member

I actually owned a MBP 13 first and ended up returning it and getting the 15 however i was able to play EVE Online on max settings and Starcraft II on medium settings on the 13 to answer your question about gaming.

4. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

I think MBP 13" should beperfect for you! Otherwise, if you think 13" is a little small for you, go you the 15"! Base model is OK for your needs, even tought if you have a little money saved go with the 2nd model because the difference of GDDR5 is huge, 256mb to 1G! consider! :apple:

5. 46&2mr thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say go w/ 2nd model what do you mean, as in get the more powerful of the 15inch models or more powerful of the 13 inch models?

Size isn't to much of a factor, in fact in a perfect world I would much rather have a 13inch screen (as I will be hooked through my external monitor most of the time) and GPU powerful enough to play my couple of games. :)

Im in great debate atm :D

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yeah, he means the top of the line 15" model

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I would recommend either the base 15" or either 13" MBP. Both will be able to do everything you stated, but the 15" would be able to handle those games much better. The 13" would likely be able to play them, but not nearly as well at the 15". Why don't you purchase a 13" and see how it performs? If you don't like it, you can always exchange it for a 15" one.

8. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Base 13 should be able to squeeze by SC2 in lower settings, but I don't think D3 will be as kind though.

The high-end 13 inch is just a plain waste of money in every regard.

9. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

i was reffering to 15", but if size doesn't matter to you, buy the 13" 2nd model!
    For me is the best choice!
    I don't really play a lot, so I don't know if that games you said use a lot of RAM, however "play safe", and try to buy macbook with 8GB, because games, e-mail, web browser, itunes and other stuff "burns" a lot of RAM!

Happy to help! :apple:

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The question looms based on how serious you are about playing those games.

Would you want to spend almost a thousand more so you can run Starcraft 2 on medium-high settings vs medium-low settings?

It sounds like you are trying to justify the 13.

A lot of newbies to Mac want a feel for the "power" of the machine and they keep assuming there has to be some downside for having a 13 inch.

In the end you just want to get the full Mac experience.

The 13 will give you that.

You are just simply amazed that a 13 inch package can hold the full Mac experience. There are no real downsides to the 13.

Get the entry 13, upgrade the HD and RAM from Newegg or wherever, and make due with the game settings you have. The games will play, even Diablo 3.

If you really really have money, get the 15, its worth it to pay money for extra resolution and better gaming graphics. But don't hesitate with the 13. Its a beast of modern computing and there are no downsides to it at all.

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

^Good post. People come here and get sucked into specs. You're on a FORUM, the people here are, most likely, more tech savvy (somewhat) and want/need the extra specs.

New people come here and start thinking about the i7 or the 15 inch when all they're going to be doing is watching videos, editing some light movies, and surfing the net.

Just get the 13 inch.

We should really, and I said this before, have a section where people can watch videos of users using their machines. That way, people can just watch and see how the machine holds up rather than posting redundant topics.

I wish a moderator saw this.

12. Chiuy macrumors 6502

The 13", I game on it.
    It's not the greatest... I can run most games on medium setting and get around 28FPS.

If you're talking about Diablo3 later on... you'll probably have to run low setting.
    SCII, I get around 25fps on medium setting.

13. 46&2mr thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a great point. I don't do very much gaming on my work computer. Its not a break it point for me just something nice. Basicly gaming on that is something I would do in a hotel late a night or in a layover flight etc. So to answer your question in reply I would say no the extra grand for a couple of games does not justify the cost. I just want to be able to play an enjoyable match or two of my games. Its not going to be gaming for long periods of time.

For serious gaming I have a 1year old monster computer I built and will handle anything I throw at it.

So in short Its not a computer for gaming its for work. I would however like to be able todo some light gaming. Greedy side in me doesn't want to see my new computer to struggle playing something like starcraft, but it also doesn't have to be on ultra or high settings. I hope this makes sense.

Also you are right, I am trying to justify in a sense the 13 inch because deep down thats the one I think I really want. Its the techy "guy" side of me that wants big specs and numbers :D Also I don't want it to seem as if im cheap. Cost isn't really a deciding factor for me, I just like to spend my money wisely as I do work hard for it.

All in all after reading these you guys / gals have been fantastic. I think the 13 inch will do the trick. Im not in a rush to buy anything as my other computer hasn't crashed totally yet. I am just getting my mind made for when it goes, so I can go into apple store and say this is what I want, buy and walk out happy :D

14. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

Yes, you're right, 13 inch is the best for you! :apple:

15. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I love my 13" i5. I thought about going with the i7 but I don't regret saving the money and getting the i5. One thing that I do want to eventually do is upgrade to 8GB RAM, but that's not necessary at this point.

Sounds like you made up your mind, hope you love it as much as I do! :apple:

17. 46&2mr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks a for all the post and thank you more for not flaming me on my first few post ;)

Yea I have my eye on the 13 inch MBP. If my techy guy side gets to much of me I will get the 15 inch glossy high rez. (which is a very very close 2nd) not that I need it just looks sexy >.>

18. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

If you hadn't thrown that caveat about gaming in there I'd say the 13" MBP is best for you. However, many reviews say that the integrated graphics (which are the same as used on the Air) are only ho-hum for gaming. They say the graphics are usable but not stunningly so. You should probably be looking at the middle or base 15" model to get to the sweet spot of your needs. At 5.5lbs I'd have to say it's still pretty portable. It will fit in most cases easily enough and 5.5 lbs is not heavy unless you are disabled.

If the gaming isn't really that critical, which seems to be what you're alluding to then the 13" is a great choice. Heck, I ended up taking back my 11" Air and got the 13" mbp I7 so obviously I favor it personally for various reasons.

19. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

u can get the last gen mbp 13 for a weaker processor, less money, but a stronger gpu