Debating on these...help me decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanewtz, Nov 10, 2014.

1. kanewtz macrumors member

Hi there,

New member...debating on these machines...not sure which to get. This will be my first Mac computer...already own an iPhone, AppleTV and iPad.

I want it to last as long as possible...and will be doing photo/video editing on it as well as general usage.

https://www.refurb.me/ca/notebook/macbook_pro_retina/G0RC2

https://www.refurb.me/ca/notebook/macbook_pro_retina/FE294

https://www.refurb.me/ca/desktop/imac/G0PE1

I'd also be interested in any other suggestions...

Note: From Canada...so please link from Apples Canada Refurb Store.

Thanks!

2. nerowolfe macrumors member

3. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Has the Haswell?
    Also...better Graphics Card...I guess the extra 512GB wouldn't be noticed?

Although some are out of stock...they always come on...so that's not an issue.

4. nerowolfe macrumors member

Yes.

512GB is plenty enough for system use. You'll need that external HD for video storage anyway.

Not an availability issue. It's the combination of dGPU, I7 CPU and 16GB ram plus an SSD that makes it much better at video editing. Other two offers don't offer all of these specs.

I'd buy it. Or wait for a newer macbook if I'm not in a hurry.

5. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you kindly for the HELP!! Much apprecaited!

6. nerowolfe macrumors member

You're welcome. Be sure to run ask Apple to run a thermal profile test prior to buying a refurb MacBook Pro.

i7s tend to run pretty hot, and some may require reapplying the thermal paste between the cpu/gpu and heatsink or changing some of the internals.

7. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

I can ask them to run a Thermal Profile Test when I order? I am assuming in the comments or something? Never purchased from the Apple Refurb store before.

8. nerowolfe macrumors member

You can when you take your MBP to an App Store for check up/fixing. And since it's a used device it wouldn't hurt to make sure that running too hot is not an issue. I don't know exactly how you go about doing that when buying a refurbished unit, but you could ask around or ask them since I'm assuming it's still under warranty.

Speaking of warranty, I'd extend its apple care plan if it isn't already. Costs like $300 for 2 extra years. Not cheap, but I paid cuz it's a premium laptop and fixing it costs a lot. Gave me peace of mind.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'd go with the imac

Unless you need the portability sometimes the bigger screen will be nicer to work on for videos or photos. The desktop class processors are quad core and better than their laptop class equivalents it has the dGPU from the macbook pro and teh fusion drive is awesome.

If I was you though I'd be looking at a 27 inch Imac refurb at about the same money (around $2000) as you seem to be willing to spend on the rMBP. Of course if you plan to be doing 4K video editing in the next 5 years the 5K imac is really the way to go...

10. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

I would assume you refer to this?
    https://www.refurb.me/ca/desktop/imac/G0PF0

However, not that grasping the Fusion Drive...like a SSD and HDD in one...does moving on the fly?

11. nerowolfe, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

nerowolfe macrumors member

Yup. I'd go for the new iMac if portability is not needed. But for an all-around package you'll be missing out on the retina screen if you buy the old iMac, and that's a minus for photo-editing and general use. The New iMac is plenty enticing as a desktop solution, even given the price.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina

----------

For music production and video editing an SSD is much better than other alternatives. But I like the idea of the *new* iMac because the Fusion Drive could be replaced with an SSD. And you get a big retina screen that's ideal for both video *and* photo editing. Plus the newer dGPU. Also, bear in mind 2013 i7 rMBP is a faster than the 2013 iMac's i5. Essentially, you gain when it comes to screen size (27" vs 15"), but you lose on performance (i7 vs i5, ssd vs fusion drive) and screen quality (retina vs non-retina.)

/edit

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina?product=MF886LL/A&step=config

woot. with an ssd and 16gb mem price goes way up. but you get what you pay for.

12. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the insight...I didn't want to spend that much on a Mac, however...and we are even more expensive here in Canada land :(

13. nerowolfe macrumors member

Wow. I didn't know that. Yeah, unless you're a pro, it wouldn't make much sense spending that much money when the alternative is about 1/3 cheaper and not as much worse in overall quality or performance.

Quite honestly, any variant of 15" rMBP would suit your needs just fine. The 2013 version with dGPU is fairly future-proof.

14. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, just another quick question.

Pretty much decided on this unit
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FE294LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3AikJa&cid=AOS-CA-AFF-PHG

Would it be worth the extra $220 to go from the 2.3ghz to the 2.5ghz?

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FGXC2LL/A/Refurbished-154-inch-MacBook-Pro-25GHz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-Retina-Display?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3AikJa&cid=AOS-CA-AFF-PHG

As far as my understanding, going from a Late 2013 to a Mid 2014...the only difference is a processor increase...just wondering if I would at all notice the difference?

Note: Would not be doing high intensity video editing...just basic stuff and such.

15. nerowolfe macrumors member

Performance gains are negligible. I'd rather spend $220 on something else. Bigger SSD or extended warranty. Anyway you be the judge if it's worth the extra dough.

www.macworld.com/article/2460820/ma...e-offers-slightly-better-cpu-performance.html

16. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link!

Another question, should I be concerned regarding the LG Screen (if it comes with one)? I have read some pretty bad things about screen burn/retention.

17. nerowolfe macrumors member

You bet.

Yes, and no. Some late 2013 LG displays still suffer from IR problems, but there are far fewer cases in comparison to late 2012 panels. Been hearing some Samsung panels have some uniformity & yellow tint issues. Some have hissing noise issues etc.

Point here, if you're set on buying a laptop keep these issues in mind, and look for them when you receive it. Test it thoroughly and immediately, and if it happens to have a defect you can return it and buy another one until you hit jackpot.

You have the the advantage of knowing what to look for that many previous buyers didn't have. Good luck!

18. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your help!

Also thinking of picking up an Airport Extreme and Airport Express to replace my current Linksys E3000 router. I am finding speeds/connection issues in many areas of my house (2 storey home)...modem is in the basement...have powerline adapter with the router currently on the main floor.

19. steveh552 macrumors regular

I am in a two story condo and have the airport time capsule and love it. I can actually pick signal up not only in every spot of my house but also at the community park which slight distance from here. If you only need to set a network name and password, the apple routers are great, but if you need to do much more in regards to networking, they are very limited.

20. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Well everyone...finally pulled the trigger.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FE...AOS-CA-AFF-PHG

Product Information
    Originally released October 2013
    15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB Flash Storage1
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Will be here on Nov 25-26th

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Looks like a pretty nice machine.

I know a professional TV editor and he does a lot of his editing on a 2011 MBP using only the Intel HD 3000 Graphics card. 2.2 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD. You don't need a super powerful computer for editing, so yours should serve you for a while.