Debating on what cover to get for 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheLaughingMan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TheLaughingMan macrumors newbie

I'm debating between the VYPER XS3 and the Incase Perforated Hardshell Case/Regular Hardshell Case. I'm going to be a second year college student in the business school and will be carrying around my laptop often either in my backpack or in my own hands.

I'm also debating on which keyboard cover to get between the Moshi and Iskin. Both seemed overpriced and I have limited knowledge on macbook accessories.

Advice is appreciated. :)

2. TheLaughingMan thread starter macrumors newbie

3. shelhed217 macrumors member

I currently have the Incase and I have had no issues with it. I fly every week so the laptop is in the incase, then zipped into a fleece case, and then placed into a padded backpack. Sounds like overkill but my last laptop got dented when underneath an airline seat.

I had the speck case and one of the tabs which held it onto the laptop were broken when i opened it, so one of the corners kept coming off. It was very annoying and they wanted to me send it back for replacement which would leave me with no case, so I switched to the incase.

Best of luck!

4. TheLaughingMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Which Incase do you have? The normal one or the perforated one? I'm still debating between that and simply getting the VYPER XS3 because the Vyper is more protective and I heard the hardshell cases have a chance of scratching the macbook.

5. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I also need to look into buying a case but I'm worried that they'll look tacky or/and overheat my MBP due extra layer of plastic surrounding it.

6. davidemm macrumors newbie

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

8. craig1212 macrumors newbie

9. Heavertron macrumors regular

I recommend a Tucano sleeve. The neoprene cases feel horrible. The Tucano sleeves are made with microfibre.

10. Dresevski macrumors 6502

If I end up getting a laptop this summer I want to make my own fiberglass case that looks about the same as this. Just create a hard outside shell and pad the inside, while making sure the size isn't a hinderance. But, when that project inherently goes bad this looks like a great fallback. Any idea if they have these in stores?

11. skapple85 macrumors newbie

I got the matte black incase and it's awesome. Fits perfect and the apple glows through the back still, I've gotten a few compliments on it already.

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Bumped once in less than an hour and then again in less than 24 hours? Patience, anyone?

Anyways, I use Speck cases... not a worry of overheating or scratching.

13. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You are being VERY Smart... overheating is an issue that Apple denies since the computer will last at least through the warranty. Then again they also set the specs for allowable temps as normal... very high. This way no one can complain.

But if you look close you will notice there are no vents, a measly fan or two and it's less than an inch thick.

There is no room for air to circulate which is why Macs can't run flash like a PC can. That's why Apple is constantly bashing flash and saying how bad it is. When working in a PC world as I do flash is never talked about, and we run it constantly just fine. (I run both PC and Mac)

I love my MacBook Pro's but would never cover them with any of the plastic shells that only trap the heat that must radiate off the aluminum. Just have a good case to travel with and you will be fine. The aluminum is durable and dents are not a problem as long as you are careful. I've had every aluminum MacBook Pro made and never had denting or scratching issues.

14. Ach111es macrumors regular

Flash cranks the CPU on everything, it destroys battery life. I wish even Windows laptops would kill support.

Throw a zagg or some skin on it and then use a case. Dont use a hard clip on case. They cause scratches and look tacky compared to aluminum