Debating on whether or not I should return 2016 TB MBP for the 2015 model, advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dk808, Jan 7, 2017.

1. dk808 macrumors 6502a

So i currently own a 2016 15 inch mbp and I really like it. However, I have no use for the touchbar and i kinda regret getting the 460 gpu. See the thing is that I frequently use bootcamp to use FL Studio and when in Windows the gpu is always activated. This makes the keyboard get pretty warm/hot.

I was thinking about returning it and getting the 2015 model with the iris pro graphics only, hoping that it will stay cool while in bootcamp.

Also, is having the dgpu always on, especially while in bootcamp bad for the computer in anyway?

2. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Dude just keep what you have. Right now the touch bar is more a dumb bar but in time, it will become feature rich. Just like Touch ID when it first launched, in a way.

If anything, just downgrade to a base 15. The 16 model is stunning, and will be better longer term in resale value than the 2015 model. We are now in 2017 thus those 2015 models are pushing on two years old nearly.

3. GCMD macrumors regular

I don't understand the savings part. I don't believe that saving $500 on a computer that is 18 months old is a good deal...you're still spending over $2000.

Any problem you find with the model won't likely be hardware...that means that a fix is likely and will likely come. It won't have to be directly from Apple.

If you can afford a new computer, buy new. If you can't use your computer, maybe downgrade or do some research on code to keep the dGPU silent...I'm sure there is someone out there that's thought of how to disable it just to save battery life and turn it back on when they need it.

Doesn't that make more sense than paying good money for an older computer?

4. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

not possible, bootcamp forces dgpu
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Ur right, I think i might just keep it and switch to Ableton Live because it works on Mac lol

5. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Good choice for sure.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

2015 model remains viable and attractive, if you're sure you want one...

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

8. ambientdaw macrumors member

ambientdaw

I am about to buy a 2015 and the most important thing for me is to not have the fan running while doing realtime audio performance with Ableton and other VST's. The OP talks about the "model with Iris pro graphics only." This is confusing because there is no choice of graphics cards when buying online. Can anyone chime in?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    So the Radeon's are not available anymore as an option and the Iris Pro is the only option. Hopefully it runs cool and quiet!!!

9. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you dont mind some warmness on the keyboard, the 2016 mbp with radeon 460 runs Ableton live very quietly. Like its literally silent. I was really surprised by this