Debating returning my 8gb and ordering a 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexii, Jul 22, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

At the last minute when I approached the counter on launch day, I changed my mind and decided to save the $100 towards something else and get the 8gb. I had the 8gb previous gen and only occasionally did space become an issue, usually when I was about to go on an International Trip.

Anyway, here we are, 10 days in, and I'm having second thoughts about the 8gb as my phone is now pretty much topped off. My library is fairly large, so I obviously don't expect to bring everything with me, but I've found myself kinda wishing for more space lately, especially if I want to bring a few movies along with me for a trip.

Currently on my iPhone 8gb i have;
    • 709 Songs (4.95gb) - Mostly 256kbps, a couple 320vbr, and one Lossless album
    • 1 Movie (1.3gb) - Last of the Mohicans (Handbrake)
    • 36 Apps (188mb)

With all the above, formatting, standard data, and the OS, I have 345.2MB remaining.

I also like to keep my bitrate fairly high as I enjoy using nice headphones with an amp on occasion (I like to think of myself as a starter audiophile) and the 256kbps and up usually suffices.

Also, I'm awaiting the release of apps like Simplify Media that will let me stream any music from my home library right to the iPhone, but that wouldn't be as handy when international. Though, I have been known to bring my laptop with me on trips as well, depending on the location.

Anyway, I know in the end its gonna be up to me as to what direction I go. Returning to AT&T would incur a $20 restocking fee, plus the wait for a 16gb Black to arrive (which could easily take a month).

Just curious to see your thoughts on the topic, specifically those who entertained the same idea, and what your decision was.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I had a 1st gen 8GB and 80GB of music in iTunes. What I did was to make a smart playlist, with songs selected at random, and a max size of 5GB. I always had fresh music, as I would delete the songs in the playlist in iTunes, then iTunes would automatically repopulate it with different music. And I always had a spare GB or 2 for movies, etc. I never once felt I needed more space, as I always had a fresh batch of tunes. Just remember, even with a 16GB iPhone, there will come a time when you don't have the music you want at the moment you want it.

3. pundapun macrumors newbie

I decided to get an 8GB because of the following in no particular order:
    - Price
    - My personal iTunes library is bigger than 16GB so I'd still have to pair them down.
    - Movies can be deleted after watching them, thus no need to store it full time on the phone.
    - Apps don't really take up much space as compared to music and photos.
    - Don't really use onboard camera for pictures.

Since you mentioned you're an audiophile, if you're rotating playlists is more than 75% of your device's capacity, then you should bite the bullet and get next largest one.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    My original iPhone was the 8 GB and I was starting to run out of space, so when the new 3G iPhone was announced, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me to decide on the 16 GB from the get-go. VERY glad that I did!

5. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just spoke to the store manager of my local store.

He said if I come in order, he would actually let me order the new phone and keep my current one past the 14 day return policy until the new one arrived, after which I could return it.

Not bad, not bad.

6. pundapun macrumors newbie

Good to hear.

7. xolan99 macrumors regular

I'm in your boat too...bought an 8GB 3g iPhone, want a 16gb one now.

Was that an Apple or AT&T store?

By the way, isn't the return policy 30 days rather than 14?

8. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T Store, bought it there as I was only upgrading a add-a-line on a family plan.

Well what's odd is that the receipt specifically says 14 days for Apple products (though that may be from the original iPhone), but the manager said he would extend the '30 day' return policy.

So i'm not 100% sure, but was saying 14 to myself just to be safe :)

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's a 30 day return policy .... he did you no favor. :)

10. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

If I order it tomm and it takes more than 18 days to come in (which is likely), he did.

11. joshigh macrumors member

My Apple receipt says my return date is the 25th, and I bought it on the 11th. I too have debated switching out to a 16gb white model. I don't think I'm too worried about storage. I started worrying about the black scratching too easy.

12. CluTcH macrumors newbie

i wanted to get the white 16gb and i have the Black 16gb. i went to apple to see if i can swap and he said sure but i would no longer be eligable for the upgrade eligable price and would have to pay $499. Is that true?

13. TheShoop macrumors newbie

I'm also somewhat in the same boat...anyone have any info on how this would work if my phone was purchased from the Apple Store?

14. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i got the 8gn out here in Japan because that is all you can find out here. you can still walk into a lot of stores and get an 8gb without waiting in line here. 16gb are sold out though and not going to be anymore till september. so i went with the 8gb.

i have 861 songs
    1 music video
    21pictures
    and like 500mb of apps

and i still have 3.3gb left. with softbank you can upgrade your phone every 6 months with no fee just another 2 year contract. so i figure if in 6 months i need more space (for all the big rpg games comin out on apps)then i can just upgrade when there is no shortage of 16gb's. for now my 8 isnt anywhere near full.

15. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Once you return the phone, your upgrade elgibility gets put back in the system, but over at HowardForums, an AT&T rep confirmed that it can sometimes take up to 72 hours before the system shows your eligible again.

With an AT&T store, your more likely to get a manager who can either override the price (since you doing the swap right that second), or at least figure out a way to refund the subsidization $200 after the eligibility returns.

With an Apple store, it may be more troublesome as I don't think they have as much access to AT&T's system. Likely I think you would have to return it, wait out the 72 hours until your back in the system, then buy a new one.

I really don't know though, just speculation.

16. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Has anyone had any luck upgrading from a subsidized 8GB to a subsidized 16GB at an Apple store? I was planning on doing it this weekend, hopefully I can.. :confused: