Debating selling current Macbook for new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by heesey1010, Mar 4, 2009.

1. heesey1010 macrumors member

current MB = late 2006 model white Macbook, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, GMA950.

So don't try to bash me here but I'm digging the new Mac Mini for some reason. As much as I would LOVE to have an iMac I simply can't afford it right now and I know that by the time I save up for one and buy it, with my luck, an upgrade/new form factor will be out. That being said, I'm wondering if I should sell my Macbook and use the money to get a Mac Mini?

I'm a college kid who, while I like toting my mac around, has realized that all he really needs is just something to tote around to easily go on the internet and do some word processing while I'm out and about from my dorm room. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse...and when I'm in my dorm room that's where I plan to either watch TV (probably getting a tuner soon), DVDs, or just more/less work on stuff.

My only problems are the following, if I do sell the Mini.
    • Webcam
    • Lack of a portable DVD player

The webcam is partially remedied for by the netbook I'm planning on getting (an ASUS eee 1000HE btw). But I'll admit I'm a big fan of iChat and the whole three-way chat thing...it rarely happens but still, when it does, it's great.

The DVD player is also partially remedied for...kind of. Obviously I have the mini but I also have an iPod touch (8GB) and the netbook. I can easily rip DVDs to view if I need to, but I wonder if it's worth the hassle. Then again if I'm traveling, unless if I'm in a plane or car I won't be needing videos that often right?

Bottom line: bad idea to sell the macbook for a mini? I do some photography work but just amateurish stuff.

....sorry if that all was overwhelming/confusing/w/e

2. nrmillions macrumors member

if you are a college student i think a laptop is beneficial to have. if you want to trade up then i would either go with a new macbook white or a new unibody macbook. you could always use your current monitor as an extra display for your new macbook too. MacBook white with 2gb of ram is even less than $999 with your student discount.

3. heesey1010 thread starter macrumors member

I still will have a notebook, it'll just be a netbook (the Asus 1000HE).
    And as much as I like the white Macbook, I hate it at times too (palmrest issue ticks me off every single day). Aluminum refurbished ain't bad at all but part of all of this is that I like keeping my backpack as light as possible. Granted I know a 13" Alum. MB isn't heavy. but it isn't light eitherr.

aluminum MB is an option, but not exactly the first option. Also remember that a Mac Mini is essentially a screenless/cameraless MB. But good point pointing out the white MB

4. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

its lighter than your whitebook

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Your MacBook does everything that the Mac mini does but the opposite is not true.

I do not think anyone could possibly justify what you are considering doing. Just keep your MacBook and be happy with it.

6. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I'm actually debating on doing the same thing except my Mini will be arriving today. Currently, my macbook (aluminum) just sits here on my desk as if it were already a Mini and I don't take it anywhere for a few reasons. I have owned a couple of netbooks and traveling with those is much easier for me. Toss em in a bag and go. The macbook obviously takes a bit more care when going portable and naturally so considering we're talking about a $1200+ notebook vs a sub $400 plastic netbook.

I'd only use my laptop/netbook as a portable web machine/time killer (with a bigger screen + keyboard than my iPod touch I have currently) so I'd figure I don't need anything as powerful as a macbook on the go.