Debating selling my year old Macbook buying C2D Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drake, Jun 14, 2007.

1. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

My warranty is about to expire, and was debating getting Applecare or buying a new Macbook. I looks like with an educational discount, and the iPod offer, I'd actually be much better off buying a new Macbook.

Contributing factors making it even more attractive is that the origninal Macbook was bought on a credit card that offered no additional warranty, its battery isn't that great, and I have issues with the display that appear to be getting worse. A new one would extend resale value, no wear, offers a minor upgrade, and would put on a credit card giving an extra year warranty.

Once I get the rebate, sell off the iPod, sell the existing Macbook, it looks like I actually come out ahead of buying Applecare and a new battery? How can that be? (This assumes I can sell the Macbook 1.83CD for $825cdn, and the iPod for $175). I must be missing something (a brain?)?? :eek:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do you think you could get $825 for the MB considering its problems? If you can before the warranty expires, do it.

3. hamholio macrumors member

I bought a new macbook off of amazon with the $100 rebate. . . sold the year old one for $999 on ebay -- came out even! People will pay crazy amounts for macs.

(the new C2D is indeed much better than the CD)

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Eh, in what ways? It's just a cpu boost.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

The model he got has a 2MB cache as opposed to 4MB; not compatible with 802.11n; only expandable to 2GB of RAM.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Nothing that affects the average user there. :p

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Well, cache does make a bit of a difference. Plus, the Core 2 Duo perfomance is A LOT faster than Core Duo, no matter what the application is - in some cases it's about a third faster. Plus, as C2D is 64-bit rather than 32-bit, which might be handy for Leopard...

9. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

I've been told by everyone who can do something about it (Apple and their service people) that its all in my head, so it officially doesn't exist. I would likely sell it before the warranty runs out so if they want to deal with Apple on it, they can do so. Here are the two issues: the battery has never held the full charge it says it should have, and now, its at 88% after a year, I hear that's not a problem. Second, when booting up or with a solid background, the screen backlight is uneven, like to vertical rectangular boxes with a one inch border around them. When using it, it isn't even detectable. Its just bad backlighting. If a person goes to buy it, either they'll notice it and won't buy if its an issue, or they will and won't buy it. Other than those two things, the thing is perfect.

Here's a pic of the screen at its worst (with gray background)

[​IMG]

10. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

While on the subject, can I take my existing hard drive with everything on it (programs, data) and just put it in the new Macbook and boot it up? All will run properly?