Debating to get a replacement once again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueCynicalMoon, Sep 21, 2008.

1. BlueCynicalMoon macrumors newbie

Normally, I do not bother asking opinions on mb's. I am considering getting my third replacement.

16GB White

My first return was for the infamous crack. My second return a software issue. I could not get past the boot screen (Apple Logo). My third phone does not fit into my Naked Case. I tried a new Naked Case at the AT&T and it had the same problem. The one corner will not fit into the case. After further inspection, I noticed a light leak along the left edge of the screen.

I am getting tired of having to call and ship back to Apple for as many times as I have. I hate not having an Apple store within reason. I know perfection does not exist in electronics. I just hate the fact that I have had my fair share of issues with the iPhone 3G. Am I overreacting about this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. copperlab macrumors member

I replaced mine 5 times before I got a winner...

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not overreacting at all. If my iPhone didn't fit in my 3G iPhone case then it's definitely something that only Apple can fix. Also, the light leak is an Apple issue that should get you a replacement. It's too bad that you're doing all this via a shipping company, at least Apple will make it right...:(

4. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I'm also considering a replacement with the only thing stopping me being the fact being that i have to post it in. I live in Perth, Australia and the nearest store is a good couple of 1000kms away in Sydney. My phone has small bubbles at the top of the glass and also a crack along the side as well as dots along the side which you can see light coming through if its dark. But all of this is covered by a case except the bubbles so i'm coping for now. Will the build quality of the iPhones increase as time goes on?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

We can only hope that the build quality get better with time. I wouldn't stand for an iPhone case to cover up flaws that Apple needs to replace with another iPhone. Sorry, that your location doesn't allow you to have the replacement in your hands same day...:(

6. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I hope that before apple even think about the next generation of iphones that they will fix the ones with this iphone

7. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Well, I managed to swap mine 6 times before my current one which in itself has flaws.

1. Dead pixels
    2. Dents (big) on silver lining
    3. Light leak on screen/dead pixels
    4. Light leak between silver lining and glass (almost like you can see the "lamp" behind the bezel)
    5. Same again
    6. Same again

I just had succumb to the notion I'm looking for something perfect when obviously Apple has forgotten how to make good build quality products and that their quality control has gone out the window. But then again, what can one expect when they have lowered the price substantially and started producing it for lots more countries than the 2G one?

My 2G phone had no problems from the start and have never had to replace it. When I got my 3G one and when the "issues" started to be an ongoing thing I thought that I must have the worst luck ever - "this cannot be happening"! And the more I wanted the perfect phone the more I started to look for blemishes - maybe something in "normal" life one should and would accept as production issues.

But Apple-people are Apple-people b/c we have been so used to quality products coming out of Cupertino (ok, China then). To all of a sudden have to "lower ones expectaions" is unusual - but maybe something we will have to come to accept the more popular Apple products become?

I think some of the faults described in the previous posts are obvious returns (cracks/not fitting properly etc) but if I look at my own issues I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth risking swapping a phone with minor things as you risk getting a new phone with other blemishes or faults. When will it stop?

I think for me the worst thing is that when I upgraded my phone to 3G on the O2 network in the UK and got it exchanged at the Apple Store in London I got a phone that looked and in some instances was not functioning as well as my first phone. I don't think I should have to get a second-rate replacement phone just because I'm replacing my phone - I should get a phone which looks and feels like a new phone! Btw, if they tell you that the phones are new and not refurbs they're lying - one of the phones I got had another persons iTunes account on it which means the serial number on the phone was still "attached" to another individual.

Anyway, LONG story short - think carefully about returning a phone for the smallest thing. It might not be worth it in the long run.

8. stokesy7 macrumors newbie

i just got my first replacement back today, unfortunately i live in Adelaide in South Australia and we dont have an Apple store here, so the process was ridiculous.

my issue with my iPhone was that the touch screen completely stopped working. i bought a pre-paid one through optus.

because i have no apple store, i had to take it back to my local optus store to get the warranty sorted out. i got told to ring some phone number and get a replacement number or something stupid like that, which i didn't do haha. i took it back to optus a few days later and they said i actually didn't need to do that, i just needed to pay a $49 deposit and they would send it off to get accessed. if i damaged it, optus took to the $49 and i had to pay for repairs, if it was apples fault i got a brand new one. so, regretfully, i paid the $49, sent it away and a week later got a brand new one and my $49 back. however, i think it is ridiculous that i needed to pay money for it to be looked at in the first place.

im hoping that this phone doesnt break again, because of my work i found it hard to jump through all the hoops that optus wanted me to and was without an iphone for about 20 days all up, going back to my nokia 3310 was pretty rough and im not keen on doing it again!

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Does anyone know if Best Buy accepts iPhone returns if you bought it there?... or would I have to bring it to an Apple Genius Bar? I'm thinking about picking up an iPhone 3G today so I can give my 1st Gen to my girlfriend.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I'm on my first iPhone 3g purchased on July 11th. My ringer switch broke within an hour but I decided to keep it if all else was well, and it was.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I'm sure they do within 30 days.