Debating whether I really need the 64GB...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfiniteLoopy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

So I'm fairly sure I'll be upgrading my 32GB 3GS to a 4S.

Most of my music is imported in Apple lossless and was like that on my iPhone until recently. Now though, I have about 35GB of music so I've converted it all using the "convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC" option in iTunes. It annoys me that I have to do that and wish that Apple offered different bit rate choices but to be frank, listening via Airplay on an Apple TV, I didn't notice any worse quality. So now, all my music takes about 6GB on the iPhone. This means that I only use about 9GB in all!

The #1 reason I want the 4S is for the camera, for both photography and filming.

Should I get the 64GB, possibly keep all my music in lossless and have another 20GB for photos + film + apps or should I get the 32GB, keep my music at 128 kbps and have about 20Gb for filming + photos + apps?

There's also the option of only having a selection of music on the iPhone ...

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but I'd appreciate some advice.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Went Through The Same

And decide that 32GB was fine....It's time to clear out some of the crud that's occupying space anyway.

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Only you can answer that as it is personal choice.

Myself though I could not handle such low a bitrate.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Err.....Bitrate?

Just capacity..All other functions are the same.

5. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean clear out apps or music?
    It's true that I could have selective playlists but that wouldn't allow me to have a lot of music and space for shooting.

Do you really hear a difference on the iPhone?
    Ideally, I'd prefer a compromise between lossless and 128kbps AAC but Apple don't offer it ...

6. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

64. It's only a $100 more than the 32gb, if you're currently using up a lot of space on an iphone, and with the higher resolution camera and 1080p videos space will be useful.

Also, how could you go from such extremes in music quality encoding? While lossless to me is overkill for a portable music device, 128 AAC is far too low! 192 or 256 are about right, but 128 is too low for my ears

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You can convert to 320kbs in ITunes.

iTunes Preferences>General. Click 'Import Settings.

Set 'Import using' to 'MP3 encoder'. Set 'Setting' to 'Custom'. Click OK 3 times to close all the panes.

Select your track in 'Music'. From the 'Advanced' menu choose 'Create MP3 version'. A copy will be made and you can delete the original if so desired.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2796030?start=0&tstart=0

;)

8. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to keep all my music as lossless on my Mac and don't want to manage several libraries because of ratings, playlists, playcounts. iTunes allows you to only convert an iPhone/iPod version of the lossless file (keeping the same metadata) to 128.
    Thanks, but that would create two libraries. I only want one library and iTunes only allows 128 in this case.

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

No, what i think it does it instead of converting to 128kbs it does it to 320kbs. Of course, if you have lossless then then 320kbs is the best thing after Wav.

It looks like the link i provided was right. There is another discussion here about it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2096364?start=0&tstart=0

Apple explains it here too...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Ah, that's too bad. Maybe there is an iTunes XML hack to change the 128 to a higher level?

11. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You can't go from low to high in bitrate. Parts of the audio are missing in lower bitrate tracks that cannot be replaced by converting them to a higher level unfortunately.

"Once a song is compressed (meaning some of its data is lost) you cannot retrieve the data by uncompressing it."

12. Lya macrumors member

Have you considered getting the 16 GB one + an iPod Classic ? You'd get more storage capacity, and avoid consuming your iPhone's battery.

13. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,
    This is if you actually want to convert songs you import from a CD.
    I already have my songs imported from CDs as Apple Lossless. iTunes offers an option to create copies of those Apple Lossless songs as 128kbps AAC files to be stored only on an iPod, iPhone or iPad. Essentially, these 128 kbps copies will use the same metadata as the lossless versions that are stored on the Mac.

I could convert all my lossless songs to something in between such as 320kbps, but that would mean that I would have to either stop using my lossless files or manage two libraries; which I don't want to do. Ideally, Apple would offer the converting options for higher bit rates than 128kbps, but they don't.

Maybe, but I don't want to start hacking in there either.

No, I might as well get a 64GB iPhone in that case.

Can any of you hear substantial differences between bit rates?

14. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I went for the 64. First time I've not bought the base model as I've always had an iPod Classic for my music.

I got sick of missing calls while listening to my iPod though so I've gone for the 64 and I'll be selective with what music I put on there. Did like being able to carry it all with me but I have to compromise.

15. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

no one in their right mind needs a 64GB, not because the capacity is too high, but because the price is too high

16. iPaddy macrumors 6502

If I had the money, I'd have gone 64gb. When the iP5 comes out and its time to renew my contract, I'll get it then.

17. PPSH-41 macrumors newbie

Buy the extra storage 64GB. While it is an extra 100 dollars, when you sell it a year or two from now, you should still be able to sell it for more than the 32GB phones correct?

Besides, whats an extra 100 dollars? It not like the device is heavier with the 64 over the 32.

Go for it. :D

18. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

It's $100 bucks for the extra memory. I've yet in my life found anyone that was disappointed that they had too much memory, but I've seen many that we're disappointed because they didn't have enough.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

The price is too high for some people, not for everyone. Who is to determine the price is too? If that model is selling and selling well enough for Apple, then the price is right. The market determines the price, not one person.

20. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Need ? Im guessing you don't need an iPhone so get whatever one you want to get, 32 was enough for me.

21. Frenchjay, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

@Infiniteloopy if you go from Lossless to 320kbs the difference can be small unless you have a really keen ear and a sensitive pair of headphones.

Now if you go to 128kbs the difference is very noticable. Basically 128kbs sounds like **** and you won't be happy if you are a heavy listener. My advice would be to get a larger storage option if you want to maintain the quality of the music!!!

22. lionqueen macrumors 6502

^this. I actually preordered a 32 gig, but my order got cancelled, so i decided to go wait in line. I was going to get the 32 still, but somehow when the Apple employee came down the line and said ”what do you want", i found myself saying "64 gig white att, please". I don't regret it. Video really eats up memory on this thing. To me it sounds like you should get the 64 :)

23. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

just do 32 and keep music you rarely use in the cloud
    you can't possibly listen to 35gb of music on a regular basis

the music in iCloud doesn't count against your 5gb of free storage and you can download items in the cloud any time you want. you can also stream them from the cloud

so just upload all the music at full bit rate. and keep your "core" music library local

thats what i do. i just keep like 7gb on my phone and the rest is in the cloud

like holiday music and stuff like that. i'll download it for the season and then delete it and download it again next year

24. scootaru macrumors 6502

I thought about exchanging my 32GB for a 64GB, but instead, I think I'm going to go the iTunes Match route. I'll save the songs I listen to most often to the phone for offline use and just stream any other song I might want to listen to as I go. A side benefit will be the upgrade in bitrate because I believe most of my collection is 128 kbit/s.

25. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Wow. Just wow! :rolleyes: