Debating whether to buy a MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by littlesparrow, Jun 9, 2017.

1. littlesparrow macrumors newbie

littlesparrow

I currently have a MBP that has been almost unbearably slow since I bought it. Even typing seems to stress it out (in the first sentence of this post, it had to pause for about ten seconds after I typed MBP to think about typing any more).

My current MBP:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

The MBP I own is the first Macbook I've had, but I was used to fairly quick operation with my previous Windows laptops. This laptop has been quite painful in terms of waiting and loading. I read all the time that MBPs are more powerful than the MB. Mine has struggled with general use. Tried it a few times with iMovie - it struggled (very noisy, very hot, very rapid battery usage). The beachball is an absolute regular on my screen (on a 500GB HD, it has over 100GB still available...I've been told that increasing RAM might not even make any difference because the things I do aren't demanding...I would've thought it could).

What do I want to do with it? I want to use Microsoft Office (mostly Powerpoint), Adobe Acrobat X, Photoshop (occasionally) and the standard Safari/Chrome/Mail etc. Now, my MBP can take upwards of a minute to open Office (or most programs except Safari, really) so I'm looking for something way quicker than that. The most intensive thing I'd want to do would be to (hopefully) play LEGO Harry Potter (from the App Store) - that practically destroys my computer even when it's plugged in. I'm sure that last time I played it and charged my computer, it was just keeping the battery percentage stable (but I think it was actually going backwards). I haven't played it since.

I'm on board with the rose gold. I'd be getting the 512GB HD, probably 8GB RAM. At over $2000, I'm not too keen to spend too much more to get extra RAM (16GB) if I don't really need to for my usage. I think I'm okay with the single USB-C port (and getting a multi-adapter). I like the keyboard of the previous Macbook. I'm getting to being okay with the lack of Magsafe.

In short, would a 1.3GHz 512GB HD, 8GB RAM 2017 MB cope well with:
    a) Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat X, Photoshop and basic browsing/emailing
    b) Games like LEGO Harry Potter or games through Steam/GOG

Please convince me to order one.

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

Upgrade your MBP. Luckily for you it's the last of its kind. Spend $300 upgrading the ram with a $99 Crucial 16gb DDR3 Sodimm kit & about $200 for a Samsung 500gb 850 Evo SSD and it will bring it up with the times. Your beachballs will be gone. Apps will load in a few seconds instead of minutes. The GPU is pretty sad, but so is the current GPU in the MB that can only really play games 4 years old.

Your MBP still has a decent CPU, but it's being crippled with lack of RAM and an ancient outdated hard disk drive...

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

As soon as the word game is mentioned, the MB is out - by design.