Debating whether to keep the Cellular while still on O2 contract (UK)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leebroath, Oct 3, 2017.

1. leebroath macrumors 6502a

leebroath

Hi Guys,

If anyone has any inside info of how long EE have their exclusivity to the Series 3 then please share? :(

Just received my Cellular Apple Watch Series 3 in SS Black but I’m on O2

Thinking that EE will have only maybe 3/6 month contract then I’m ok with that but I have been reading it’s not just a software update for the other networks to join, it’s also to do with technical issues also.

I know I’m not the only one in this boat and I’m hoping O2 arrive with an answer when they can provide Cellular for the Apple Watch Series 3.

I also understand I can return it but just for the small extra $ and the fact I love the SS in Black

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

There's no exclusivity deal. EE are the only network in the U.K. with the infrastructure in place to handle this. Three have said they won't be supporting it and it's not a trivial matter so I doubt any other company will be able to support it soon.

3. leebroath thread starter macrumors 6502a

leebroath

Hmm, I may just give my daughter my contract as she has her pay monthly sim and change over to EE, see how they fair

I just need to ask them if I can transfer my mobile number to EE while it’s still on contract and move it over to an EE 12 month plan

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

You could just use it for what you normally would for the watch.

Can’t see any other carrier supporting it as 4G is always needed for it to work and EE are the only carrier who can do this.

5. Sebby macrumors 6502a

As Cascades42 says, it's nothing to do with exclusivity — that's just the excuse that the other networks are using. As far as I'm aware, all of the other networks have pretty much confirmed that they won't be supporting it.

6. leebroath thread starter macrumors 6502a

leebroath

So next question, if anyone has the experience

Would it be easy enough to port my mobile number across to EE while still in a contract, then my daughter could use that tariff on her pay monthly number

7. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say no. When you get a PAC to port your number to a new network, your original contract is automatically cancelled. Worth asking O2 the question anyway though.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No i think you would need to cancel your contract then get the PAC code to give to EE.

9. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

You can change your number on your account, so I presume you can swap your daughters number to your account at O2. You can then transfer your number over to EE. I'm guessing this would work as I bought a number off eBay and changed my number on my EE account, so see no reason why you can't do similar on O2. Do a Live Chat and see what they suggest.

10. leebroath thread starter macrumors 6502a

leebroath

11. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Bit late to the conversation but just in the process of switching back from 02 to EE... I have zero loyalty and jump with the better deals. Going from £20 for 20Gb to £15 for 18gb. Adding the watch fee brings me back to the same amount so I’m OK with that.
    My o2 contract is up next month anyway so getting my PAC code will trigger the notice period. And let’s be honest after the entire priority service going boom today (always on Nero Tuesday) maybe I’m not going to miss it...

12. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

You’ll also notice a HUGE increase in 4G speeds moving to EE. I also moved from O2 after being with them since the iPhone 3G and should have moved earlier.

13. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I have no loyalty to any service provider. Thier CS is rubbish across the board in my experience.

I'm with O2, only because of where I live. EE signal is non-existent in my neck of the woods. If this were not the case, I'd have happily opted for the LTE watch.

Hopefully, with the next AW they'll roll out to other service providers.

14. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

By the sound of it the other carriers need to change their backend infrastructure to allow shared numbers...

15. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

That would certainly help.

The way the Apple Watch seems to be evolving, I think realistically we are looking at a 2-year life-span.I reach this conclusion as the launch edition watches (just over 2 years) are pretty slow and sloppy with Watch OS4.

When the AW was first released, it was unclear how long we would typically need to wait before upgrading. Some people said every year, and some said even 5 years (as it can be an expensive commitment with the higher-end models.

My point being, I'll probably upgrade my AW within the next couple of years again, and can opt for LTE then, once support is greater.

16. leebroath, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

leebroath thread starter macrumors 6502a

leebroath

On O2 chat right now, told them I had just started an O2 (2 year contract)

this is what they said

'If you want to keep the same number and move to EE, you will have to end the contract with us, then you will be given a PAC code and you need to give it to new service provider and then you can keep the same number.'

'Once you transfer the number, your contract will end, If you want to keep this contract, you cannot move to EE. You can either end the contract and completely move to EE with the same number’

As I’m on the refresh plan I only need to pay the device off whice is £396. I’ll give it a few more months to see if anything changes with O2, if not I’ll pay to leave :) at least I have that option

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

You've basically wasted your money buying the LTE version if you aren't on EE, you've got the ceramic back, 16gb storage and red dot at least.... :p

18. leebroath, Oct 4, 2017

leebroath

No not really

I know that the Aluminium versions could be scratched more easily than the SS due to the glass used on the front

I don’t mind paying the premium as it helps when selling next year ;) I also prefer the weight and colour

19. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

While true the SS screen will look better next year I doubt you'll get much value back, from what I've seen SS models do not sell for much compared to what you pay new.

Reasons like that are why I don't consider re-sale value when buying stuff. ;)

20. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I never buy my gadgets thinking about resale value. The product is for my needs/enjoyment whilst it lasts. It’s not an investment imo.

21. leebroath, Oct 4, 2017

leebroath

Don’t get me wrong, the extra I pay in the premium stops the screen from being scratched in my daily usage, I still enjoy my watch regardless :)

22. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

A valid reason to buy the SS is build quality definitely, Apple really screwed over the people who wanted SS but didn't want LTE.

23. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Had the SS last time but wouldn’t buy it again due to the amount I lost. Generally that’s not my biggest concern, but for something that’s only going to last a couple of years, it’s not worth it. I’ve got the aluminium now and very happy with it.

24. mwjdavies macrumors member

mwjdavies

Where or how did you get the £15 for 18gb? Looked online n cant find that deal. Might be tempted by that myself :)

Cheers

25. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I effectively got the same. Standard deal is £21/month. £70 Quidco makes it just over £15/month. Prices may have changed now though.