Debating whether to upgrade my MB to 13" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riotshield, Apr 5, 2011.

  1. riotshield macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #1
    I'm still using my 2006 white Macbook as my only computer (1.83 GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD). It does pretty much everything I want, except play games (I use an XBox for that). I played with a display base-model MBP the other day and was impressed with the build quality and upgrades (nicer screen, trackpad, built-in SD slot) but I can't really tell if the performance increase is night-and-day just based on opening a few programs.

    The most CPU-intensive programs I'd use are Lightroom, Garageband and iMovie. The time it took to load up Garageband and iMovie were not much faster than on my current MB. In fact it seemed the 11" MBA next to it loaded them up faster than either system. As I hadn't had the chance to really use both programs under the new MBP, I just wanted to get an idea of what tangible benefits I can see with photo/music/video. I was a little disappointed with my first impression but as I hadn't tested the programs further so I'd like to get others' opinions. Thanks.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Opening apps is dependent on the drive. MBA was faster because it has an SSD which is a lot faster than a regular hard drive found in other Macs. New MBP will be faster when it comes to something that can use the CPU power, such as importing or exporting something in iMovie for instance. However, if you are fine with the speed of your current MacBook, then I would stick with it. Grab an SSD and put that into the MacBook to make it fly again.
     
  3. Granny-Smith macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #3
    Congrats on keeping the macbook-2006 this long. I'm impressed it still serves you well.

    My advice, as a third party who doesn't know your whole situation, would be to hold off on the pro for right now (I am in a very similar situation and that is what I am doing). Just a few reasons why I would keep the functioning computer if it isn't holding you back:

    (1) New Macbook coming out imminently (sp?)

    (2) Mac OSX Lion Summer 2011

    (3) Postponing your purchase increases its longevity on the other end

    (4) MBP 2011 Refurbs will start coming out = price saver

    Let us know if you move forward with the pro and find a drastic difference!
     

Share This Page