Debian BDXL distribution

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cube, Oct 31, 2017.

1. cube macrumors P6

I think it is high time to also be able to download a BDXL Debian image.

Since Debian 8, a DL BD is not enough to fit the complete distribution for one architecture.

2. Mikael H, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017

Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Why ever would you want to download the entire distribution? No internet connection on the target computer?

I bought some off brand BD-R DLs and they all (four of the same) failed burning, even at the slowest speed and after cleaning the lens. A similar thing happened to me with another brand of CDs quite a while back with a DVD burner, and I had only used first tier since then.

Verbatim just worked and at the highest speed.

An interesting product:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/qnap-vinpower-digital-tvs-882br-blu-ray-nas.html

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-882br

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Another thought:
    Back when I installed Debian the first time around, even the base system was like 8 or 12 pieces of media - 3.5" diskettes at the time - if you didn't do a network install. And you didn't do a network install over modem. :)

4. cube thread starter macrumors P6

The full Debian 8.9.0 for x64 is 81 CDs, 13 DVDs, 3 BDs, or 2 DLBDs.

There's no full CD distribution for Debian 9 ;)

5. belvdr macrumors 603

That’s the case with most distributions. What’s the likelihood of needing the other discs? I usually find the most widely used software on the first disc.

6. cube thread starter macrumors P6

Debian 7 is also distributed as 1 DLBD, so there should be the choice of 1 TLBD for 8 and 9.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

This sounds like a perfect case for an external hard drive.

8. cube thread starter macrumors P6

A 100GB BDXL disc costs 7 euro.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Okay, then build the disc? I'm not sure what the discussion is about.

10. cube thread starter macrumors P6

That the Debian distribution network provides DLBD builds but not TLBD builds.

11. cube thread starter macrumors P6

Debian was also late to provide DVD, BD, and DLBD builds. And never provided DLDVD builds.

12. cube, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

cube thread starter macrumors P6

If penta layer BDXL is developed, it should be "160GB", so that it can back up such common drives.

Hexa layer seems kind of ready at 200GB.

A 320GB deca layer BDXL was also developed, so it would fit with that line of reasoning.

13. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

So.. How common are such drives in PCs? Perhaps I’m colored by my Mac + server background, but I haven’t used anything but USB and (at most DVD-sized) ISO images to install an OS for many years...

14. cube, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

The 6 and 10 layer prototypes or almost products were developed a long time ago but not brought to market yet.

What came to the production/enterprise markets are the cartridges with 150GB per side optical discs.

The only quad layer 128GB discs I've seen come in a cartridge.

100GB M-DISC only came out in 2016 (so my drive theoretically only supports single layer).

It seems optical costs 50% as much as other solutions for cold/nearline enterprise storage.

The price of BDXL discs only came way down near the current level around 2016.

15. cube thread starter macrumors P6

Single layer BD-Rs and CD-Rs of the same brand work at the highest speed.

Single layer BD-REs of another off brand also work at their highest speed.

16. cube, Nov 9, 2017

Well, I checked the manufacturers:

Worked:
    CD-R (brand1): "Plasmon Data Systems"
    BD-R (brand1): Moser Baer
    BD-R DL (Verbatim): "Verbatim" (Taiwan)
    BD-RE (brand2): Ritek

Failed:
    BD-R DL (brand1): CMC Magnetics (Taiyo Yuden optical disc successor!!) :(

Is my drive bad?

Now, one thing is to burn without errors, another not to rot quickly.

It seems other people have some problems with this drive and there are no firmware updates.

From the moment I opened the box I did not like it because of the cheap plastic.

Never again this product line.

Wait, I bought the CMC discs before they started producing some TY tech products, so maybe the drive is not really bad.

17. cube, Nov 10, 2017

But a bad thing about my drive is that it is not possible to measure disc quality.

I should make a couple of clarifications, to avoid confusion:

- Plasmon Data Systems is an equipment brand. Many different manufacturers with varying processes use this code.

- Verbatim quite often outsources disc manufacturing to different producers with no issues.

I just burned a Verbatim DVD+R successfully again. Manufacture for my version seems to have been outsourced to CMC Magnetics in Taiwan.

I also have some TDK DVD+R which worked well which are just Moser Baer. There are some Philips with the same code. I burned one a couple years ago and I got zero errors now in a media scan.

Many years ago I bought some Philips DVDs and I think they all failed to burn.