Debian Firefox Unbearably Slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dbdjre0143, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dbdjre0143 macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

As part of my plan to set up my 1 GHz iBook G4 as an OwnCloud server, I performed an install of Debian 8 Jessie with the LXDE desktop environment. Everything went pretty smooth and I'm impressed with how snappy the machine feels, until I try to open Firefox or IceWeasel. In either case, the machine drops to a complete crawl, and I'm not talking about trying to load a complex page or something, I'm talking about the default homepage with ONLY a search box! Is there some setting or trick I'm missing to make this browser realistically usable in any way?

Note: I have realistic expectations, as I used this Mac for quite awhile with TFF on Tiger before I got my DLSD. It was slow on heavy sites, but I could at least use Google without growing a beard. :p

2. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Firefox ESR for Debian (and even Ubuntu MATE) is buggy, slow, and crashtastic. A group of guys still supporting PPC64 ported the last ESR and added it to sid ports, and I tested it on my new (to me; more later) dual core 2.0ghz G5, and it was a slow, buggy mess. The version on the jessie repositories isn't any better. Use apt to install Midori 0.5.11 for a better (albeit not perfect) browsing experience.

3. dbdjre0143 thread starter macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

@swamprock Awesome call! Midori is much better! I won't be doing much browsing at all on this machine, but its nice to not have to transfer files using a flash drive when I need to download something. :)

4. z970mp macrumors 6502a

z970mp

I've had the same problem on Debian 8.11 in the MATE environment. I've had to revert to QupZilla as a fallback.

Does anyone know how to remove the CD from the repository lists? I have to have the disc in to install software, and I'd rather it pull from the servers instead.

Also, has anyone found any way to get Linux to sleep a G5 yet? That's essentially the only problem in the way of Debian being a great replacement for OS X.

And seriously, does anybody else have trouble changing their profile picture? No matter what I do, it won't budge. I dare you people to try it yourselves.

5. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment out the CD line(s), ctrl X, yes, return, done.

6. pl1984, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

pl1984 macrumors 65816

It doesn't appear to be working for me.

MR seems to be a little wonky as of late. I often leave it open on my computer and it becomes unresponsive. It never used to do that.

7. z970mp macrumors 6502a

z970mp

I knew it was a site-wide bug!

I'll try getting in contact with the staff, see if they're aware.

8. z970mp macrumors 6502a

z970mp

Turns out, no need.

As evident, profile pictures are working correctly again.