Debian is wonderful!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Aug 10, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I installed debian on my Quad yesterday and it actually works!!!+
    I can nVcloCk the gpu up high!+
    I am seeing what QEMU can do (not much, yet)!*
    I have java 7!+
    I am testing a 7970!*
    I am testing minecraft 1.6.2*
    I can mine btc!*with 7800gtx +with 7970

+Works great!

*Need help with, please provide assistance!

Debian is amazing! I have never seen an OS as great as Debian!

Thank you so much for continuing to support us after the apples have rotted and the windows have shattered.

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Which Debian are you using? If it's stable then the packages should be relatively modern (it only just moved from testing to stable).

What did you start with as a base - net install? Gnome? What problems are you having?

3. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I have a stable, full 4.3GB DVD install, I use the gnome GUI because I don't like the lightweight junk. Since I have java 7 it should run minecraft, but it crashes on launch. I want spotify, but it is x86, does this mean that I have to go deep water FLAC fishing on pirate ships to get my music? How do I get started bitcoin mining to my bitcoin cz account? How do I interact with QEMU to get it to emulate x86 things? How much should I overclock the GPU? Until it makes pretty colors?

4. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I don't use web players. I need a real software.

5. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Tough luck

6. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Bitcoins on a Quad? That's a no no. You will spend a lot of money in your electric bill to make 2 cents.

Well, Install QEMU, then try (impossible) to install windows xp.

Don't overclock it.

This seems like a waste of time. Linux for PowerPC is DEAD.

7. Wildy macrumors 6502

None of that is terribly helpful feedback.

What errors are given on the console when you launch Minecraft?

Spotify is in the non-free repos (it's x86, no source available) and thus you will never see it running on Linux PPC. If you can afford a Spotify premium account (required for FLAC-like quality streaming), then you can afford to buy your music legally and not resort to torrents.

You have an Nvidia card which doesn't have the SHA256 hash instruction required to achieve a reasonable MHash/s - mining on the hardware is going to be absolutely futile. If you want to do it for fun, you'll need to get bitcoind from backports, and you'll want to download something like cgminer.

You will need to create a blank disk image for QEMU first, and then supply it with a bunch of information on the target system you are emulating. There are plenty of tutorials around on the internet.

I thought you mentioned you'd already overclocked your GPU? I have no idea if the free drivers have the necessary hooks required.

I don't profess to have any real knowledge of Linux - but everything I do know has come from reading, reading, and more reading.

8. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I'm premium on spotify, but might be canceling because they play the closed source game on powerpc users.

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

You have the nerve to talk down to Rabidz when most of the "information" in your post is wrong?

I have installed QEMU in Mac OS X on a G4, I have installed XP and guess what? It works.

Linux for PowerPC is ALIVE.
    How can someone say that Linux for PowerPC is dead when they are using an EOLed OS on the same machine!?
    Also, PowerPC processors aren't just found in Macs, they are also used in servers and other past computers, new(er) POWER chips implement the full PowerPC instruction set. All these computers using newer POWER or just PowerPC processors need OSes to run, and the majority of these OSes are all *nix based.

Far from dead.

:rolleyes:

10. Wildy macrumors 6502

If you have premium you might want to check out Despotify - http://despotify.sourceforge.net/.

11. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Can you read? Really? Look at the name of the topic. Let me spell that for you:

D-E-B-I-A-N
    I-S
    W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L-!

Now look at my quote :rolleyes:

If that's not clear enough ok... QEMU on Linux is extremely slow. Installing Windows XP takes forever. Windows 98 installation is somehow faster. I never said "QEMU under Mac OSX" like you said. So, let me spell that for you, again:

Q-E-M-U
    U-N-D-E-R
    L-I-N-U-X
    I-S
    S-L-O-W

Now, I said Linux, I didn't say PowerPC. PowerPC is healthy, alive and it has a good future. Let me rephrase that then:

Linux under a PowerPC Mac is only useable for internet, because it provides a up to date web browser, but it is slow and dying. (POWERPC MAC)

Linux is alive on Power chips, not so much on PowerPC Macs. There, corrected.

12. alexrmc92, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013

alexrmc92 macrumors regular

Linux on PowerPC is not dead. IBM has released many Power chips since the Power4 (Which the mac G5 is heavily based on), currently we are on Power7 which is actually estimated to do fairly well against intel in linux server world. PowerPC chips were just a consumer derivative of Power chips. The only major differences were things like the altivec engine that really had little use for the typical consumer. While the chips are different and prioritize instructions differently, they still provide the same instruction set. This is why people got excited when the PS3 had a IBM Cell processor, it would may have been possible to run OS X due to the very similar instruction set to the Power chips, even though the CPU itself is very different. The Xenon processor in the Xbox 360 had many Cell designs incorporated in it, even though it was generally considered a PPC processor.

KVM (wich utilizes QEMU) natively works on the G5 (AKA 970MP) when virtualizing PowerPC operating systems. The G5 has hardware virtualization technologies built in which gives PowerPC virtual machine near native performance. Of course this doesn't help for windows as it is x86 only, unless you want to dig up a really old copy of NT4.

As far as bit coin mining is concerned you can easily attempt it for fun. PowerPC processors are actually very good at floating point calculations and when compared to similar intel processors of that era (core duo / early core2 duo) they actually perform very well in this area. But the G5 is now 3 generations behind, and even with a Power 7 i still believe GPU's would be faster as they only thing GPU's do is floating point calculations.

Even GPU's are becoming too slow / inefficient for bit coin mining, many have moved to FPGA / ASIC devices. But the short answer is yes, you can mine on your G5, just not effectively at all.

13. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Guess what, POWER and PowerPC were MERGED!!!

14. stridemat, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

15. Wildy macrumors 6502

QEMU is used for a lot of virtualization and is far from slow.

16. ihuman:D, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Read my post again, maybe then you'll understand it. ;)

You said that that installing XP in QEMU is impossible, you didn't say it was slow to install. You were wrong. If it installs on OS X then its going to install on Linux since they're both *nix based.

I know you said PowerPC Linux was dead, I was explaining that all these POWER or PowerPC computers need an OS to run, and most of the time this OS is Linux.

You really need to read people's posts over before you reply since some things in your post are replying to some imaginary text. ;)

Your last statement is oxymoronic, newer POWER chips use the same instruction set as PowerPC, so of an OS runs on a newer POWER chip the chances are it runs PowerPC. Again, you really need to re-read my post.

You also shouldn't put things in caps like that, it looks childish.

17. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Sorry, I was on fire 'cause of the Debian Developer.

Again, I'm sorry :)

Yeah, the imaginary text was removed ;)

18. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39366936@N08/4072603052/ back in '09 :cool: