Debilitated by deliberation ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Jun 9, 2014.

  1. AppleGoat, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

    AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Hopefully the last of these threads, hopefully. For anyone who spends any sum of time around these parts, it doesn't require an innate gift of observation to know that I'm wracked over the purchase of a 15" rMBP from the refurb list. Specifically, the $1,949 configuration, divested of the 750m but endowed with 16GB of RAM. Where I live, it would come to $2,085.43 after tax. Back in February (or March), I was approved for a BarclaysCard to finance the purchase (interest free for 18 months or so) but I've been gun shy ever since. I suppose it would help, as a personal exercise at the least, to lay out the pros and cons of upgrading. Let me begin with the "Cons".


    • I have an early-2011 13" to which I've added two SSDs and 8GB of RAM. It is a snappy, responsive machine. Having it for over three years, it also possess sentimental value to me.
    • Though I don't doubt I could "swing it," I have a crappy job which does not befit such a fine machine.
    • Though I've made some nice upgrades to my current MacBook and it runs great, cosmetically it could use some work. Aside for the to-be-expected scuffs, a few of the keys need to be replaced: the letters are like ghosted out. Moreover, one of the rubber feet on the base of the computer is no longer there (though its absence is never noticed while using the computer).
    • Given the foregoing, I fear I may only be able to command $500 for my computer, therefore leaving $1500 to be covered out of pocket if I were to purchase.
    • A refresh of sorts may be coming soon.
    • It is more of an indulgence than a need at the moment.


    • To many, it is customary to upgrade at three years, while one could still recoup a good amount for his current computer and see a profound improvement going from one machine to the next.
    • I use a computer for hours everyday, so a steep investment in one is, by all means, worth it. All I'm doing it upgrading now, rather than later, which is inevitable.
    • I won $1,100 in a fantasy hockey league back in April, and sold my lesser used telescope for $800 or so around then too. Back in March, I declared winning my hockey league and selling my telescope as conditions for the purchase of this computer. I met both conditions so I wouldn't be betraying an oath I took with myself.
    • I am an artist. By trade, I consider myself something of a graphic designer. I worked as one in my past job. I could benefit as much from the Retina display as I could from the larger screen. I feel designing on such a computer would alleviate some of my shortcomings as a designer.
    • An external IPS would be a much cheaper (and in essence effective) route, but I mostly use my computer on the go, where I wouldn't have an external monitor at my disposal. Thus, getting the most out of the notebook screen is imperative.
    • My 15" rMBP will be in warranty for the first year and I'd have the option of extending it for two more years with AppleCare. Meanwhile, my 13" has been out of warranty for a while and there is nothing I can do about it.
    • I'm deeply appreciative of the technology and I've given this purchase much thought.
    • ...And last by not least, probably the biggest Pro (or Con):If I bought the rMBP, I would no longer waste time thinking about all this!
  2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

    Apr 11, 2014
    I'd pass on it if I were you to be honest. If money is tight you really don't need a MBPr unless it's for work which in turn will help bring in more money.

    The MBPr is a luxury of sorts. There are cheap computers out there that will do the job just fine.

    A Mercedes and a Kia will both take you to work believe it or not. You'd only buy the Benz if you had extra cash just sitting in the bank.
  3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Thanks for your input and I greatly appreciate your reading my lengthy post. Hopefully reason will continue to prevail and I'll hold off. The temptation may linger but what can I do?
  4. Freyqq macrumors 601

    Dec 13, 2004
    If your current computer does everything that you need it to do, then stick with it. If it is unable to perform the tasks you use it for to an adequate degree, then it may be time to upgrade.

    I wouldn't upgrade just to upgrade. The longer you wait, the better the hardware will be, so the longer it will last.
  5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Thanks. A used Thunderbolt display off eBay or Craigslist is an option if I can find a good price. I just hope my lackluster HD3000 with 512MB of virtual memory would be enough to push all the pixels of the 27" 1440p display while doing things in PS and Illustrator.
  6. Freyqq macrumors 601

    Dec 13, 2004
    Dell ultrasharp 27" uses the same exact panel, but it is ~$200 cheaper. You also get more ports than just 1 thunderbolt.

    Photoshop and Illustrator aren't very GPU intensive, and 512MB of vram should be just enough to handle it I think.
  7. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    You lay out a number of reasons why its not a good idea to purchase the laptop, I think you've made a some well thought reasons and its best to hold off. Money is tight and it is an indulgence. Your 2011 MBP I'm sure is more then up to the tasks you need it to run.
  8. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

    Apr 11, 2014
    Temptation will be there for some time but it will go away. Just put your money in a CD in the bank for like a year. That way you can't get it out unless you really need it for something important.
  9. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Thanks all -- I have enough self-control to not make an impulse buy so no need to secure the money from myself.

    I may splurge next refresh though, especially if the current refurbs are further reduced when the new models come out. We'll see then.
  10. fig macrumors 6502a


    Jun 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like you've decided (and I'd also avoid financing anything like a laptop), but I'm really lost on your reasoning on this particular point.
  11. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    Nothing really wrong with taking advantage of 0% financing so long as it's paid off before they start charging interest.

    That being said, it doesn't sound like the OP really needs a new computer. It would probably be best to hold off on purchasing the rMBP.
  12. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    I thought it's common to finance a big purchase; i.e.: cars, houses. I would have every intention to pay it in full before being strapped with inordinate interest fees.

    What I mean by that point is that I'd see details on the Retina display I otherwise would not see + two inches more of screen real estate would really help. Both of these things would make me a more efficient and better designer.


    Not from what I've heard. Isn't the Dell a matte display? The Thunderbolt is, of course, glossy.
  13. whiteonline macrumors 6502


    Aug 19, 2011
    California, USA
    Easy fix for the temptation: stay off of apple tech/rumor sites (more-so forums) until you are ready to buy. [Tech] ignorance is bliss to your bank account.
  14. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Well you all have knocked some sense into me. I haven't quite had the temptation since I started fielding responses in this thread.
  15. s2mikey macrumors 68020


    Sep 23, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Good to hear. We've all been there and will be there again. Let's face it.... It's FUN pondering a new machine and once the fever hits it's hard to calm it down. No worries, mate. When you really need one and the time is right you can pounce on it and enjoy the purchase. :D
  16. fig macrumors 6502a


    Jun 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    That's great in theory and how they get you to sign up for financing in the first place. It unfortunately doesn't always work out that way :) I realize everyone has different philosophies when it comes to credit though.

    It is very common to finance large purchases, but you're talking about something that's 2% the cost of a house. Unless there's some desperate reason to finance it (which it doesn't sound like there is in this case) just put some money aside and buy it 6 months down the road. I say this as someone who thought the same things and ended up spending a lot of time, heartache, and money paying off debt.

    As per screensize, it might make you a bit more efficient but that's about it. If you really need more screensize, drop $200 or so on a 23 or 24" 1080p display and hook it up to your current laptop.

Share This Page