Debit card holds

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Apr 10, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

My debit card use by accident is about $60 short and Apple told me that if I put enough money in the account before the watch ships then my order will not be cancelled. Does anyone know if I'll have a hold placed and when Apple sees I don't have enough money then my order may get cancelled?

2. rosario1990 macrumors regular

As far I know if you don't have enough money into your card then order will cancel. But when you load money onto it then you can order again.

3. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I got the first wave shipping date so I want to keep the order. I will try to add money to the account in the morning

4. Planey28 macrumors 6502

It won't cancel the order, it gives you a period to correct it or change payment details. Went through this when ordering a MacBook.

5. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

THANK YOU. I hope you are right

6. wbitsky macrumors member

You can stop worrying. I'm in the same boat as you (only I'm trying to switch to using a gift card). Just got off the chat, they promised that the order will not be canceled (as long as there is like $1 on the card). You just need to call them in order to change the payment method.

Hope this helps.

7. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I just got off chat as well with the same answer. I am relieved. So lucky I got the early ship date.

8. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Do what you think best and will be better for you.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I'm in the exact same boat! There's a $0 debit in my account from Apple online store (at 3:08 AM ;), but no further activity. I will definitely be getting paid from now until the 19th/20th when I expect the first ones to ship, am I ok as well?

10. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I actually talked about something similar with an apple representative over the phone today and she said if something goes wrong with my payment they will contact me before canceling, she said I would have 5 days before they cancel the order.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I had a similar problem when I ordered my Mac Pro. Because the price was over $6,000 they wanted me to call them before they would allow it.

After that I called Apple and requested they retry. It didn't delay my shipment.

12. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

You are PROBABLY okay but I think the 20th is cutting it close

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I paid with Apple Pay but strangely they haven't put any holds on my cards. (Paid across 2 cards)

14. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

O, when I say that I mean sooner rather than later. (probably closer to wednesday).

I think i should be good then! :cool:

15. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat. Literally ZERO activity from Apple on my Chase Debit that I used via Apple Pay. I'm not concerned; no news that the order has been canceled or anything.

16. itsMacTonight macrumors 6502

itsMacTonight

Sunday Night. Still no activity on my card. I used the card through App using ApplePay. Not worried yet. Preorder on iPhone did not show up until 2 days before shipping. Used Visa.

17. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

My iPhone 5 payments got blocked by the bank - it's fine - as long as there's payment there when apple take it.

18. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

They don't charge card until right before ships so you have like a week to add money. I used Gift Card and mine still shows the full $1,187 on it that originally had so they haven't charged a cent yet. Credit card they may put a $1 authorization to verify that its a legit card but other then that nothing should be charged until ships.. And even if say don't have enough money from past experience you will get a email that your payment method was declined and you will have a day or two to update/fix issue before order gets cancelled.

19. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Ah, amazing! Being the stupid idiot I am, I've spent money thinking the £599 came out of my bank.
    I'm now under and next payday is the 17th.

What will happen you think? I'm worried.

20. Daghis macrumors member

Daghis

(Not debit card related, but still about card authorizations...)

I ordered my Apple Watch plus AppleCare+ in the early morning hours on Friday using Apple Pay.

My Bank of America card got hit with a $73.14 authorization from "APL*APPLE ONLINE STO" (presumably for the AppleCare+) yesterday. That triggered a fraud alert and they put the account on hold. I resolved it with Bank of America and they assured me that everything will be fine when the charge for the watch goes through in May. We'll see.

21. applefan022 macrumors 6502

No hold on my card yet, but I have been charged for AppleCare plan for the watch. Kinda odd they charge me now when I'm in the June group.

22. jryu90 macrumors member

jryu90

Apple charges you immediately for Apple Care+ because it's a service and not an actual physical item.

23. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I plan on getting a gift card for my birthday this weekend. If my card has not been charged by then I am going to call Apple and apply the gift card :cool:

24. mark-in-mk macrumors regular

Emergency - sell something on eBay at a knock down price ?
    Gotta do what you gotta do !

25. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

You think the 17th (this Friday) might be too late?