Debit Card ? Pre-odering the iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krayzie116, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

Okay I place an order yesterday 10:23am MT

I look at my business bank account and I seen the were trying to take out $316.43 it was saying processing it was all day it was saying that. So I look this morning to see if it went through now its not showing at all. Was I suppose to call my bank to for the pre-authorized or pending transactions?

2. aequitas1234 macrumors member

Maybe it depends on your bank. I used a Visa debit card on apple.com and it tool the money right out of my account without issue.

3. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

We call it a Debit Pre-Auth hold. Basically the vendor (Apple) issues a pre-authorization hold for a given amount which was what you saw yesterday. Apple likely put the hold in place but your bank has an expiration for the hold. It's likely not showing because the pre-auth hold expired. That being said I'd recommend being sure that you have the funds to cover the transaction in your account for the next week as these can ship at any time and when they do they'll attempt to get authorization for the full amout immediately. Right now the pre-auth doesn't necessarily care about your balance, but the authorization will.

No need to call your bank; you're all good.

4. phr34k macrumors member

I cant speak for your situation, but I can tell you what happened to me. I was first in line at my local At&t store yesterday morning. I get to the counter, and go through the motions, and when it gets time to pay the girl says swipe your card, and I pull out a BOA Visa Chk/Debit card. The girl tells me I cant use it, so I have to wait til 6 pm est last night to get it preordered when I had axx to a card. Long story short, they werent even supposed to be taking debit cards, and If they did the transaction probably just fell off when the system realized the mistake.Hope you get it sorted.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Apple only pre-authorizes.

So basically they verify the funds are there, but don't charge it. The actual charge is only when the item ships.

For pre-auths they usually clear off of bank cards within 72 hours. As that's when pre-auths usually expire. I've never heard of it clearing off that quick, mine is still showing.

Best bet is to ask your bank. As said, different banks, different policies.

Mine is still pending, but the funds will be back in my acct on Friday.

I think you are all set.

6. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i'm pretty much screwed then, maybe i should call at&t and see if my order is still in the track

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple puts a hold on your funds, and then charges your acount so the odds are good that you'll need double that amount in your bank account to be able process the order.

When I bought a 3Gs last year, my american express showed to charges for the iPhone, though the first was dropped off a day or two later. I suspect the same will occur with your debit card, so you have to plan accordingly so you don't fall into a insufficient fund situation.

8. phr34k macrumors member

I would. People seem to be missing the part where they were not supposed to be even taking debit/bank cards yesterday. It doesnt matter if you had eleventy gazillion dollars in your account, the transaction will not process based upon what I was told after waiting outside my store for over an hour in 90 degree heat. Lol

9. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that kinda give me a peace of mind now, I do have the funds in there to cover the cost on the phone i even transfer extra money to it to make sure i do have the funs

10. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

see on my business debit card its a master card i read on the forum master cards can be use as credit cards. what funny is that when i pre-order creative suite 5 from adobe on that debit card they took it. i'm pretty sure i used that card on apple site before i can't remember wow lol

11. phr34k macrumors member

Thats the thing, they told me I could use it online just fine, and I have before, but they changed the in-store process this year. Trust me, I was PISSED. Have you ever been in ATL in summer? Talk about Hot and humid... I was BEYOND livid...lol

12. bricknothitback macrumors newbie

bricknothitback

I used a debit card at the ATT store yesterday by mistake. My account shows the transaction as pending just like the other debit transactions I made yesterday. The clerk at ATT was surprised it went through.

I then used a credit card to buy an identical second phone because she said the transactions needed to be separate, nothing different happened. My account shows that the funds have been withdrawn. I got the confirmation/tracking emails for both transactions.

I can't remember too many transactions I have ever made that required a credit card not a debit card. I can't imagine the order will get screwed up but my wife will understand if her phone is delayed:rolleyes:

13. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

i remember i order the magic mouse on apple site but that just an mouse not an iphone i think i will call at&t and see what they say

14. casedogg311 macrumors member

This happens when I pay my AT&T bill too. The charge is listed as pending for about a day, then dissapears completly for 3 or 4 days, then shows back up as an actual charge.

15. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
  16. bricknothitback macrumors newbie

bricknothitback

Both my debit and credit transactions have zeros in the backorder column

17. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm in GA too, and was told the exact same thing by two different AT&T stores. Their system will initially take the debit card (with a Visa or MasterCard logo), but later when the order is processed, their system will reject it. This was ONLY if ordered in store with a debit card. One of the managers even agreed with me that it was dumb, but that they were notified several times to alert in-store customers to this, as it will cause some irate customers once orders start getting rejected. He (the manager at the second store that spoke with me in detail) even said that he knows that a debit card can be used on their own website to pre-order just fine, but again he and all other area managers were notified several times NOT to allow customers in store to use a debit card (VISA or MasterCard checking card) to order in store, as they were told it WOULD be rejected just before reaching "Shipped" status. I don't know how much of this is BS, but it seems that it might actually be true with the number of corporate stores that seem to be telling customers this info.

18. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh crap im going to call them in a few and see what they say if my order still in process or not?

19. phr34k macrumors member

Where you at? Im actually closer to Athens, about 16 miles from campus.

20. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

In Winder, about 17 miles from downtown Athens (straight up Hwy 29 or 316). Ha..small world. I was told what I mentioned above at the Athens store at Epps Bridge and the Winder store.

21. phr34k macrumors member

lol...im in Winder myself....I just say Athens, cuz who the hell knows where Winder is...

22. arcanic macrumors regular

arcanic

If we have a reserve, is the Apple stores allowing us to pay for our phones with a debit card?