Debit card preorder question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Sep 11, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. Question. I've been hearing that apple will charge your debit card twice when the phone ships. Is this true?

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

No they shouldn't charge it twice.

You will just be charged once for the full amount.

3. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I think they put a hold on the card when you order and then charge you when it ships.

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Ordered with my debit for every release, never been charged twice.

Maybe they mean once as a verification/hold then the real charge when they take the money out.

5. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Yeah. It might appear as two charges, but only one will count (the other, as pointed out, is merely a hold to ensure you're good for the purchase price).

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

7. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

It's possible that the hold they put on there (if they do) may remain, and the charge (I think I had this happen once, years and years ago, with another online retailer), but the hold will fall off after a few days -- it's not ideal if it did/does work that way, and even less so if you're using a debit card as that's money that they're holding (with the initial hold) plus the actual charge. I'd think that nowadays it wouldn't still work that way though.

8. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

I was wondering the same thing but I doubt they will charge twice since I am doing the Next plan.

9. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I suspect what people are referring to is having a hold put on your account for the full amount followed by a second charge. I've had this happen before, and it only causes an issue if you are running up against your limit. The hold will expire within a few days, but until it expires it goes against your spending limit.

For example, if your debit card is tied to a bank account with $900 in it, and you try to buy a $849 phone, you might have a hold put on your card for $849. When the phone is ready to ship, the card might be charged an additional $849 without releasing the hold which might end up causing the charge to be rejected.

I would be surprised if Apple did this.

I ran into this once when I used a BofA temporary credit card # to make a purchase from an online company I didn't completely trust. I made the credit card limit for my temporary card just slightly above the price of what I was trying to buy. They ended up doing what I mentioned above, and I ended up having to give a different credit card # to make it work.

10. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just concerned that I would have to $849 x 2 in my account so I don't get overdrafted?

11. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I don't think you would be over drafted unless both charges actually went through (which they won't). You wouldn't be charged simply because of a hold.