Debit Card Question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Juice011785, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Juice011785 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not I apologize. Anyway, I bought a macbook last week from the apple online store. I checked my account and the money was taken out (was listed as a pending transaction). Well I check my bank account atleast once a day to make sure everything is right, and the money that Apple had taken out of my account is now suddenly available again.

I ask this because it is early Monday morning here and according to my tracking number, my laptop has arrived at my local sort facility since Saturday. If there was suddenly a problem I assume I would have been contacted, but it is making me a little uneasy that the money was placed back into my account. My Apple account also says nothing about a hold being placed on my order or anything of that nature. Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice? I was going to call apple but unfortunatly I couldn't find a 24 hour number. Thanks guys :D

2. marksandvig macrumors regular

It will debit tomorrow morning I presume because it's sunday, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

3. Juice011785 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I was thinking that also. It just caught me by surprise that the money was gone, now its back.

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I know this has happened before but I can't find the previous thread. The end result was the same... it's just some billing glitch by Apple.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

It's very possible that they billed your debit card as a credit card. Happened all the time with me until I started only using credit cards to build up my score. no biggie, just takes a few extra days to show up on your statement.

And don't worry. Apple wouldn't have shipped your computer until they had every precious cent of yours in their grasp. But if, by Odin's hammer, you were lucky enough to somehow not actually have to pay, I would keep very very quiet. Call it an accounting error in your favor.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's not a billing glitch by Apple or anyone else. :rolleyes:
    It is what we call verifiying funds and since it's a debit card it goes out and either comes back or the amount is moved to pending. The amount will drop out of the account. It's called banking.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not a glitch, apple puts a hold on the money (which can be a dangerous thing for debit cards) then once the unit ships they will issue a second charge to take the money and release the hold. The order my be off depending on how the systems work.

Its been designed for credit cards so the odds are high you'd not even notice it, but because debit cards operate on the cash in your checking account, its more likely people will see the activity.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok. I've never had that happen with any of my debit cards. :rolleyes:

10. nigameash macrumors 6502

normally they check to see if you have the money and put a hold on it, it prolly shows up in your account atm but i doubt you'll be able to spend the locked up portion by apple ;)