Debit/Credit card required to purchase 3G[S]?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

After reserving at a local store via the Apple website, it shows the following:

Make sure to bring these items with you:
    • A valid, government-issued photo ID
    • Your Social Security number
    • A debit or credit card

Anyone know why it's required and what will be charged to it? For what it's worth, I am a 3G owner with AT&T. Not sure if it's only needed for new customers.

Trying to decide whether I should order it online today or wait and try my luck at the store.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's required because you have to pay for the phone before you take it and Apple Stores don't deal in cash.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They DO deal in cash! They just don't deal with cash when it comes to the iPhone.

4. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Hmm, really? I thought businesses were required by law to accept cash?

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

But by reserving, didn't you already pay for it? Or is that not how it works?

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

att stores can take cash for it just not apple.. but yea to the post above they will take cash for comps and other things

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

With my small business account they will bill me on my next bill. I am upgrading two iphones to 3GS.

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Any particular reason why you wouldn't want to bring your credit or debit card to the store? If you are thinking about ordering it online today you must have enough available balance left on your credit card.

9. Switz213 macrumors 6502

He could be too young to own a debit or credit card. (Under 18)

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Can't you get a debit card when you are 16?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, there's no law that requires a business to deal with cash.

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

JetBlue Airplanes take nothing but credit/debit cards.

But yea, Apple doesn't allow people to pay for the iPhone in cash. This is nothing new, they've been saying that since the original 2007 release.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Nope. If you owe a debt, a creditor has to accept cash, but there's no federal or state law that says a private business has to accept cash for a purchase.

The Apple Store near me would sell someone an Apple Gift Card if all they had was cash or check. You can then use the Gift Card to pay for the iPhone.

IMO, one of the reasons for the "credit/debit" only policy at Apple is that the EasyPay mobile devices that employees use only accept credit/debit. The process for selling an iPhone can take 10-20 minutes, so if people were allowed to pay with cash/check, it would tie up the few real "cash registers" they have for a very, very long time.

14. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I was just wondering why it was a requirement. I forgot they don't deal with cash (for the most part) though they will let you buy a gift card with cash and use that to purchase the phone, at least they did last year. Now I know, thanks for refreshing my memory guys!

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Then he's too young to sign a contract with AT&T for a new iPhone. :confused:

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Actually, the newest Apple Store near me has no point of sale at all, just employees with hand-held credit card scanners. No cash.

17. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Guys, I'm 26. I just forgot that they don't deal with cash for the iPhone, lol. Wasn't sure if it had something to do with AT&T.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

19. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Just for clarification, this is from the US Treasury (which has money issues of its own):

The Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states:

"United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.​

Apple may be doing the same thing since it is easier to have a walking credit card machine than a walking cash register.