Debit or credit card for pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Jun 8, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

For pre-ordering, what do I do? I only have debit cards, but alot of people told me companies treat a debit card the same as a credit card in most instances in the retail world. Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

AT&T requires a Credit Card for the pre-order process.

When will my credit card be charged if I preorder?

At the point your order is placed, we will authorize the funds to cover your purchase. However, your credit card will not be charged until the order is shipped. Remember to use a credit card as debit cards cannot be used to preorder.​

source: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Dave

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, but retailers treat a debit card as a credit card 95% of the time. I think they do it via POS terminal.

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Can anybody confirm what I stated? This is the only way I will be able to purchase one, not a fan of credit cards and can't get one. Greatly appreciated if so.

5. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

unless your debit card is from the early years, it shouldnt matter.

You have the option to use it as credit or debit. If theres enough cash in the account at the time either will work, credit just dont charge right then and there in your bank account.

I have always, always, I say again always used my debit(visa) as a credit card and never been turned down.

6. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

if your debit card has a CC logo on it (like mine does) then you're good.

7. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

*reply showed up, must have been in limbo the first time*

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You will not be able to pre-order online from AT&T using your debit card.

You can "reserve" with Apple online for in-store pickup and purchase using your debit card at POS on June 24.

Both AT&T and Apple will allow you to purchase the new iPhone 4 in-store on or after June 24.

Dave

9. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

Troop,

If your debit account (checking account) has sufficient funds, it should go fine. However, some banks place limits on what you can do in a single transaction, like say $200 maximum. This is done to protect account holder from someone stealing the card and then using it. If you have a limit on the debit card, ask to see if you can buy a gift card from Apple or AT&T and then come back later and do the transaction and the gift card(s).

If you have no limit, then the POS transaction is the same for debit or credit, as long as they take Visa/Mastercard.

I think you would be better off to go thru Apple instead of AT&T though.

10. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

There is reasons I need to go to ATT, mainly because Apple will definitely not build a store in my area due to a crappy economy here. Plus I need to apply a discount to my plan, and I'm a new ATT customer, so I will probably have it delivered to my home, then go to the local ATT store.

11. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Why not just choose Credit on my debit card? I do it all the time so I don't have to enter my pin.

12. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

13. masterlimp macrumors member

nearly every debit card can also be used as a credit card.

14. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

Considering I do not own a credit card, whenever I'm looking to buy something online I always use a pay-first credit card type of deal. It works for amazon and MLB.com and what not. Will this be okay?

15. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

Troop, I feel ya. Its a long way to an Apple store for me too. You might want to see if the AT&T store will carry a list for you. I don't know if they were doing it for the 3GS, but they did do it for the 3G, but this is not a company policy or anything. I think it depended upon the local store management if they would do this or not.

Just trying to point out some options for ya!

16. orangerock macrumors regular

I have a Visa debit and pre-ordered an iPad using it, no problems...you will be fine.

17. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Thank you. :cool:

18. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Thanks, I have a debit card with the Visa logo from my bank I should be good to go!

19. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

This Visa Debit card is from your bank correct? connected to your checking account?

20. orangerock macrumors regular

Correct

21. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I was wondering the same, OP. Thanks for the answers, everyone.

22. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I used my debit card to place my order online for my iPad with Apple and had no issues. I refuse to own a credit card as well.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

I ordered a 3GS via debit card/mastercard bank card with no issues. I actually ordered one from Apple and one from AT&T. I doubt this year will be any different. I like to spend what I have in the bank, I have used credit cards in years.

24. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Every time you order on line its treated as Credit. In the "real world" just select "credit" on the card reader.

Same here. In fact I'm with US Bank and I have the flex perks cash rewards Visa Check card card. Each time I used my debit card as "credit" I get cash back. With US Banks new savings program I can have those cash rewards transferred to my savings on the 15th of each month. Its not much cash back but it adds up.

True but most can now a days.

Exactly. As someone said above most places accept debit cards to be run as credit. I’m not 100% sure of the fees or what not. I heard retailers have to pay a certain percentage on debit and credit purchases.