"Debugger () was called" -- WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgguy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I have been watching my console log and notice the statement "Debugger () was called" occasionally appearing, sometimes after my computer has just been sitting without any other activity that I know of. Does anyone know what that message means or what is happening that causes it to be shown? I have searched MR and haven't been able to find an answer. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It probably has something to do with the error trapping of one of the applications you're running.

3. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

Can you explain this a little more? What do you mean by error trapping. Thanks for the info.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

it is just to help the developer of a particular application find bugs in the app... I would assume.

5. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

I guess I shouldn't worry about it since it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Thanks.

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

What is the sender?

I just searched through my console and saw
    But yeah, I wouldnt worry at all..

7. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

There is no sender listed. I just looked at the console and there are 8 "Debugger () was called" comments one on top of the other without anything else listed. Here is a few hours worth of console statements. These last 8 accumulated over a few hours. I have just been in MR, a few other internet sites, and sync iPod Touch.

Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    2008-12-19 21:22:04.356 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[334] exception while performing selector isSyncServerAvailable: on server: NSInvalidSendPortException [NSMachPort sendBeforeDate:] destination port invalid
    Created child to sync device with pid 1020...
    Waiter has started running...
    2008-12-19 21:23:33.127 Translator[1026] Invoked to sync conduit com.apple.Safari for entityNames: com.apple.bookmarks.Folder,com.apple.bookmarks.Bookmark
    Waiter is done running
    Sending final status from child helper tool back to parent...
    2008-12-19 21:51:31.807 AppleMobileDeviceHelper[334] exception while performing selector filterDataForClientWithIdentifier: on server: NSInvalidSendPortException [NSMachPort sendBeforeDate:] destination port invalid
    MobileDevice: receive_message: Could not receive size of message: 0 Unknown error: 0
    MobileDevice: _read_callback: Could not receive message
    MobileDevice: send_message: Could not send message size: Bad file descriptor
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!
    Debugger() was called!

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I don't see anything to worry about. When something goes wrong, the Console is where you go to find out what's up. It's not where you go to find out if something is wrong. Applications tend to be extremely verbose for just that reason. Growl, for example, logs every displayed notification to Console.

9. semicolons macrumors newbie

10. macbooked macrumors newbie

Hmm.. i would say at least 40% of the script is "debugger was called.." strange