Debugging AirPlay issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rhandersen, Feb 10, 2015.

1. rhandersen macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm using an Airport Express to play music via AirPlay. Lately I started having some major issues with the unit. After a restart of the Airport Express, I can connect once and play music for a while. After that, it is not possible to connect to the device anymore.

The output selector jump back to Internal Speakers after like 5 seconds when I try to select the Airport Express as output device.

I've searched various forums, and tried doing a factory reset without luck.

Do any of you know a way to debug issues like this one?

Thanks in advance,

- Rasmus

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

try rebooting your main router (if you have one).

if that doesn't clear it up...

how is the express connected to your network? (join or extend a wireless, hardwired?)

what are the other network devices in your system? (Things like routers or switches. Things like computers or iphones should't affect it too much)e

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What is the main router on the network? Is the Express extending the network or simply joining it? What firmware is it running?

4. rhandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

The Airport Express (latest model) is joining the wireless network from my Time Capsule (latest model), which is the main router, and the only other signification device.

I tried rebooting the Time Capsule several times without luck.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try putting the Express on 7.6.1 as I found it to be much more reliable when used to join a network.

6. rhandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Altemose,

Thank you for your reply. I can't seem to find a firmware versioned 7.6.1 for the 2nd generation Airport Express (A1392 / Product ID = 115):
    Screenshot
    Screenshot 2

Do you know where to download it?

7. rhandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find version 7.6.1 anywhere. I can only find 7.6.3 and 7.6.2. Do you know how to get it?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In AirPort Utility 6 on a Mac, simply option click the version number in the drop down menu.

9. eduardrw, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

eduardrw macrumors 6502

For debugging purposes I would try the following:

0. Factory reset of both TC and AE.
    1. connect airport Express and Time capsule via ethernet cable to rule out WIFI connection issues. If it works then you'll have to debug your WIFI coverage and interferences. Your Airport Express should be getting a very strong signal from the TC - it should not be connecting at the outer range limit of the TC.
    2. Try Airplay from different devices to rule out the device as causing the issue.
    3. Reboot the Time Capsule wait until its lights are green than reboot Airport Express - wait for its lights to be green - than reboot your streaming devices (ipad, iphone, computer, ...)

If that does not get you anywhere, get another Airport Express (Apple has a 14 days return policy) and try it with that device.

10. rhandersen, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015

rhandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried that. It only shows these versions: [​IMG]

11. rhandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

As described 7.6.1 is not shown in that list. I can't seem to find it as a manual download either.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The only way to get it is through AirPort Utility 6 on a Mac. A screenshot of what you are seeing will help here. Did you try eduardw's tips on troubleshooting?