Decade old installation CD for scanner software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Enryn, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Enryn macrumors newbie

Is it dangerous to use this thing? I got my scanner working with that, but saw comment it might be bad for Mac? Any ideas - should I remove that software now?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Did you try installing the software?
    Does it work as intended?
    Is everything else on the Mac still working as intended?
    No unusual crashes or hangs?

If the answers to all of the above questions are "yes", then… I wouldn't worry about it.

You might look around for updated software if it's available.
    Over time, feature sets and functionality tend to get improved.

3. Enryn, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

Enryn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is installed, it scans, everything seems to work in Mac and nothing is crashing. I've had one or two freezings, but those were random, did not occur again and I never connected those with this software.

I found something more updated, though it is still bit old. Should I remove this piece of software before installing newer version? How would one go from deleting scanner software - just drag it from App Folder to trash?
    Not sure if it dropped useless printer drivers anywhere - where should I check those? And if I find them in some folders, just drag and drop to trash as well?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Should I remove this piece of software before installing newer version?"

Keep a backup of the old version around, until you're sure the newer version works.

"How would one go from deleting scanner software - just drag it from App Folder to trash?"

That's what I'd do.

"Not sure if it dropped useless printer drivers anywhere - where should I check those? And if I find them in some folders, just drag and drop to trash as well?"

Look in library/printers (top level of folders, NOT in your home folder).
    Just drag them to the trash, that's what I would do.