Deceased Family Member's iPad (iTunes Account)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chadlandman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. chadlandman macrumors newbie

I know this question has been posted before, but I would like a specific answer if anyone has one.

Long story short, a friend's dad died recently and his iPad was locked to a specific iTunes account to which they have no access to. Don't even have access to this person's email account either.

If the family were to provide a Death Certificate and/or a Court Order to erase the iPad, would they be able to do it at an Apple Store? Or even sending the thing to Cupertino?

Very frustrating that a daughter can't use her deceased father's iPad because of a silly password. I know security measures are in place to deter thieves from doing this, but there should be someone at Apple who can help with this. Otherwise, after the Restore in iTunes, this iPad might as well be a paperweight.

2. davemcd macrumors newbie

Mention this to the attorney handling the estate. There are procedures to have some designated a legal representative of the estate, which will give them legal access to accounts. This is frequently done to get access to bank accounts, and they same procedure could potentially be applied to an itunes account.

3. chadlandman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, that helps a lot. I'll be sure to tell her!

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Is the goal to use the iPad as is with all apps and everything currently on it? Or is erasing and losing everything on it acceptable (to be able to use it immediately)? If the decision is to erase it, the apps and things purchased with his iTunes account will not be available. It will be like brand new and she will need to create an iTunes account to start purchasing things.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but there is a risk how good of a backup exists if she were to erase it and want to migrate back to dad's account when that issue is resolved.

There's more details I'm going to keep this post short in case I'm headed in the wrong direction. But... If the iPad is running iOS 7 with Find my iPad enabled then she will NOT be able to erase and use it and shouldn't try.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try downloading an app. The iTunes Store applet should pop up asking for the password (which no one knows). Then copy down that address and go to My Apple ID. Use the Forgot My Password and try to answer the security questions. If not send the reset request to the email address. Then try to use the forgot my password on the email account until they can unlock it. Then reset the iTunes password, turn off Find My iPad, and Restore.

It is a long trail to follow but it should work in the end.

6. dcp10 macrumors 6502

If she has access to her fathers email account she can request a password reset on the iTunes account if not, she just be out of luck.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They said they don't have access to his email. If it's a gmail etc they could attempt to get into that and then do the iforgot. Or try the security question route and hope they know the answers.

Not really sure what Apple could do but it would likely have to be family lawyer to their lawyers. Not going into a store, calling Apple care etc

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

don't really have much to say, but i think when i'm older i'll be putting passwords to all my accounts in my will.

9. eww7633 macrumors regular

There is an official procedure when dealing with a death of a customer at Apple. Just contact AppleCare, and they can get you started.