December/January '12 too late to purchase a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totty1987, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook Pro within the next two months or so. I'd just like to know whether purchasing it during December/January '12 is too close to the inevitable update of the range?

It would be disappointing to spend £1500+ with Apple releasing an upgrade in February or March. :(

2. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if that's a problem for you, then you have to wait for the upgrade... nobody knows when it will come though.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Somewhere in the March through May range is very likely, but not guaranteed. It's up to you. A year after that you'll be hearing about Haswell. Intel is all about laptop chips at the moment.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Truth is, I think right now is the best time to buy a MBP.

Buying 1st gen products is always a risk of having to deal with defective products. It happened to me with my current Black MB. It was the first one, and I had a terrible time with the keyboard and the trackpad button. It had a defective battery and three hard drives have failed me so far (this last one might be outside of Apple hands, but it surely had never happened before to me so frequently, and I barely move the laptop around).

The Super Drive also failed withing the first year. It was exchanged and it eventually failed again. And from one year ago, the wifi, Bluetooth and the isight camera stopped working.

Don't get me wrong. I love this MB and after more than 5 years it is still working. But I'm not going to go with a 1st gen product again. I would much rather stay with the current unibody MBP which has been improved thru the last 4 years.

6. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Great advice mate.

I'll definitely be purchasing the MBP in December :D

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Enjoy :)

8. Zerosopher macrumors regular

Zerosopher

I am going to buy one by the end of this month. :)

9. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Nice.:)

I might go and buy one today. I've been going back and forth since last year, and I always keep saying I'll buy it when my current MB fails, but I'm starting to consider that time might still be 1-2 years distant. Just thinking about it troubles me. =)