December - still a good time to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adder7712, Jul 3, 2011.

1. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Is December this year a good time to get a new iMac? I really want a computer far more powerful than what I use currently (in my signature). Or should I wait for the 2012 refresh?

2. sheareb macrumors regular

sorry, unbelievable... the new iMacs arent out that long and your asking people to guess the next refresh specs and timescales....jeez.

The current iMacs will blow your current spec out of the water as far as I can see so if you need it just go and get it. When 2012 refresh comes out itll be people saying "should i buy now or wait until 2013"

arrgghhhhhhh absolutely pointless question

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Kind of depends on what you'll be doing with it. I've got the base 27" 2011 imac at the office and the 2.4 Macbook CE* at home. For ordinary consumer stuff (browsing, emails, word processing, windows in boot camp,etc) I can't tell an appreciable difference.

If you're using software that can more effectively use the multiple cores, better gpu or increased ram of the iMac (games, photoshop, or running windows in a virtualization layer) there will be a noticeable difference in performance. Oh, you'll definitely notice a difference in screen quality!

Considering the historic yearly refresh cycle of the iMac, it should be a safe guess to say the 2011's will be halfway through its lifecycle before a new model is introduced. Whether you should wait or buy at that point is almost a subjective choice.

*You know, the ONLY Macbook to ever be released with a backlit keyboard...:p

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I think you need to re-read the question. Then come back with a accurate response rather then some half cocked one.

The op is asking if december would still be a good time to buy the current ones or at that point wait for the new ones. The product will be in 7 months at that time. Like always though it will depend on your needs if you need a new computer and the current ones meet your current needs then buy it.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It IS a rather common question, with the common mistake of not stating what the OP is using it for.

But since their current machine has only 2GB RAM and a small drive, I would agree that there's little to gain by waiting; they obviously have modest needs.

One nice reason to wait for Dec is that some of the current iMacs may be showing up in Apple's refurb store; always a good value.

6. aery macrumors member

aery

Actually, I've already seen a few in the refurb store the past two weeks or so.

Jump on it OP! I just bought an iMac about a month ago and I love it!

7. sheareb macrumors regular

My answer isnt half cocked... the world of technology means there is never a good time to buy or anytime is a good time (depending on your view),

Can you can state categorically the specs and release date of 2012 iMACs?
    No, the only thing you can possibly say is that they will be more powerful than 2011.

What the original question, perhaps, should have been is "is the current iMAC capable of doing x & z in z time.