Decent 5.1 USB card that works

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ploki, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ploki macrumors 68000

...and preferably won't break the bank.

Anyone has any suggestions? I found that LogiLink 7.1 thingie, but I don't know whether it works with OS X well or not.

Mind you, I have decent audio interfaces for work, but I need something light and stupid for simple 5.1 playback.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you have a thunderbolt port, the Startech Thunderbolt2 dock has optical outs

"the TB2DOCK4KDHC offers an SPDIF port so you can take advantage of your MacBook 5.1 digital optical audio capabilities."

Dunno if $250 breaks your bank.... but in comparison to a $50-$75 USB device I suppose so :)

3. Dandu macrumors regular

If its for pass trough 5.1 (AC3 or DTS), you can use the optical output (if you have a Mac with that) or a Aureon dual usb from terratec.

For analogic output with 3 jack, it's complicated. I use a cheap (and not very good) USB sound card found on eBay for that.

4. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

Should've clarified I need analog out. :)

Can you link me which one you used? I don't care about quality, I have my RME for that. I need something thats cheap and small.

while we're at it, does anyone know any MacBook Optical to 5.1 analog decoders?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

6. Dandu macrumors regular

I use a think like that : http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-6-Chann...Card-Adapter-Laptop-Notebook-PC-/251793898961

Just configure it to 5.1 (6 channels) on audio/midi setup.