Decent Browser on iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dino F, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Whenever I use Safari or ANY browser for that matter (have tried Mercury as well) on my iPad 2, my pet PEEVE is the fact that when Safari is closed and left in the multi-tasking tray, when you then re-open it later on, it proceeds to reload EVERY tab, all over again!!! :mad: I hate this....!!!!!

You have to sit there waiting for ALL the tabs to reload again, before you can even do anything?!?! Mercury ALSO does the same exact thing!

Is there not a browser which does NOT do this? When I re-open a browser from the multi-tasking tray on my iPad 2, I want the browser to display the last tab I was on, WITHOUT it reloading!!

Is there a browser on the App Store, which does NOT have this behavior?!

2. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Not really, the reloading issue is all about RAM amount. I have iPad air 1 and very often it keeps reloading all apps, including Safari tabs...

3. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

There is inherently no way to prevent this. The OS will purge the browser processes from RAM when it needs the RAM for other things. A browser could potentially cache a full offline copy of the page and reload that instead, but that would still take time to load and would essentially be a "stale" snapshot of the page so that isn't really an improvement.

When you say you are on an iPad 2, I'm not sure if you mean the very latest version (iPad Air 2), or the 2011 version.

If it's the latter, please note that the iPad 2 has a fairly paltry 512MB of RAM - just 1/4th the RAM of the latest model. The iPad Air 2 has 2 GB of RAM and should reload pages less often then any other iDevice (it is still going to do it from time to time.)

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

When browsing, make sure all useless apps are closed from multitasking. The RAM will be an issue. Reloading shouldn't take that long though? Regardless, Samsung phones will reload the same amount even with 2gb+ of RAM lol

5. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

No, don't do that. Unless an app us misbehaving, don't go closing apps from the multitasking view. You'll just waste battery and make things slower. The iOS will terminate apps as needed in the background.

6. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...actually, I did indeed mean the old iPad 2 2011 version! :eek:

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Why not close the tabs and get back the base page before closing safari? Unless you want all the tabs to remain open after closing but that's not what it counts like.

I do this so safari always starts with one tab opened and it starts on my "homepage".

8. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...I like having various tabs open with the websites which I use on a frequent basis (I only have about 6 tabs open).

9. oldmacs, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

oldmacs macrumors 68040

Traditionally I have not quit apps from the multitasking bar for that reason, but I can tell you that it improves the free ram on the iPad 2 enormously in iOS 8.

With Safari( No open tabs), mall, Messenger, Facebook, eBay and settings open in the multitasking bay I have 10 MB of ram free, which Safari will presumably use to load webpages. When I close those open Apps it goes up to 91 MB free which I would assume would mean that Safari could use this to help keep more pages open?

Generally with all apps closed, Safari keeps 2 or 3 tabs loaded, but only 1 when I have stuff in the background.

However, Safari seems to automatically purge when it is left in the background too long... and nothing seems to fix that.

10. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Well if you are moving between apps Safari might be terminated and that could be the main issue.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Can someone explain to me the benefit of keeping multiple tabs open in Safari? I must be missing something. When I'm done looking at a site I close the tab. If the site contains information I may refer to later I bookmark it or add it to reading list.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

That isn't a problem with Safari, it is the lack of RAM on your device. What is the big deal about it reloading anyways?

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ah....where to start...

----------

Research. I am endlessly researching things and I often leave one site to visit another, then go back, then back to the previous etc. I then might do a search on Amazon and go back to my...eww, reloaded tabs. I've lost where I was, I need to start the whole search again. Then I go back to Amazon...eww, the app has reloaded and I have to type in all my search parameters again. Then I might be typing a response on a forum, or a message to a company on their webform. I pop into an email to copy some info to paste into my semi-completed webform...but eww, it has reloaded and I've lost everything that I typed.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I visit and check a handful if not more sites on not just daily basis but basically throughout the day. It's easier to just switch tabs that are already open (and in a particular odder that I know) than to constantly open a new tab, go to a bookmark or enter the URL, and then close it and repeat that all over again I a few hours.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Why would you search Amazon in safari when Amazon has an app?

----------

ah I see. Most of the sites I tend to visit on a desktop have iOS equivalent apps so I don't use Safari in that fashion. I only use Safaris in a "wiki" type fashion.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

In many cases it's simpler to do something within Safari than a separate app unless there's something specific in the app that makes it more useful. On a computer we generally do things within the browser and don't really have separate apps for all kinds of services (like Amazon or some forum site or some news site), so it's a fairly similar mentality as far as use flow. Some find an app more useful in various ways, but as far as just looking up or checking for updates doing it from within a browser works even better for many.

17. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Puffin can be changed to not reload open pages. I believe.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I do use the app, I said so. Regardless, safari or app... it still reloads.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I guess it depends on what apps. I use BofA, Amex, Verizon and other apps instead of the web site because it's a better experience. I seldom use Safari for anything other than google searching.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure, for something like that apps can be better. But for various forums, checking some news sites, keeping up with updates on some other sites, a browser does a fairly good job (similar to using a browser on a desktop computer).

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

News sites I use Flipboard, Forums I don't really browse and when I do its with tapatalk.

22. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Safari is usually the smoothest brower and is opened by default from other apps so I just stick with that.

Since iOS 8 though I am getting an "error occurred and page was reloaded" thing alot.

23. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Safari is terrible on the iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air for me on 8.1.3, with it constantly reloading sites. I've found Google Chrome to be excellent and have not encountered any crashing or bugs.