decent cheap wireless printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetjaguar, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im looking for a decent cheap wireless printer. Right now im using an old canon mp160 which is an ink hog .. and i would like to switch to a wireless one .. any suggestions ?

2. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

color or black/white

single function? multifunction?

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Also consider an Airport Express as a way to make any printer a wireless printer.

4. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Not any printer, only certain supported printers. It's just like getting a wireless print server from Linksys or Netgear; they only work with compatible printers.

5. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Ah, didn't know that. I stand corrected. Thanks.

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

7. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Good printer, good quality photos and scans; however, if you plan on sharing this wired/wirelessly with multiple computers, good luck. It's a complete pain.

My roommate has one, and that was our experience when networking our dorm room.

8. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

My advice:

If you're in college and need a good and cheap b/w laser printer, get the Brother HL2170. Setup is amazingly easy; it makes you wonder why every wireless device can't run like it. It's also fast and is light on toner. I've been using my starter toner cartridge for over a year, and I print on a fairly regular basis.

$110 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010Z3LGO/ref=cm_rdp_product

If you want a color inkjet but don't need a multifunction, look at the HP Officejet Pro 8000. It's only $72 on amazon right now. It's extremely, very good on ink, and the quality is pretty good.

If you want a multifunction, you could take a look at the HP Officejet 6500 or Officejet Pro 8500. Fast, good on ink, features like double-sided printing. HPs are usually fairly simple to setup.

If you want photo quality and a multifunction, then the Canon MP620 (as the last poster suggested) is probably the safest bet. Network setup can be a pretty big pain, but it's possible.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

They do make decent printers, and they do work under OS X. But the most important aspect of it, is it's a laser. Far cheaper in terms of cost/page than inkjets.

But the OP still hasn't returned to answer if color is needed or not, and though not asked, what additional features are desired (resulting in an AIO/Multi-function unit). Nice to include suggestions on AIO/MF units BTW. Lasers in this category can get a little expensive on the initial cost (color MF units can go for ~$600USD), and it scares many away. But if the print volume is high enough, it makes more sense in the long term.

10. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I worked at Staples for a year selling electronics/printers/computers, so I've helped quite a few people with printers.

Plus, I have this printer sitting right on my desk in my dorm room. My roommate has his MP620 sitting next to his. Both are wired to a router. The Brother was a breeze for both of us. I got my Mac connected to the Canon fairly easily, and network functions seem to work fine (printing, scanning). My roommate has to use a usb cable to connect to his own printer because of driver issues on his MBP.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm using a MFC-9450. It's a network model, but not wireless. I've installed both HL-2140's and HL-2170's for friends and family when they finally decided they were tired of paying for HP's ink though, and they're beyond easy. The Brother's supplies are less expensive for lasers than HP's (I learned the hard way not to trust remanufactured toners, but that's another story), and match up competively to others that are better on consumable costs as well.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'll put in another vote for Brother laser printers. I'm still using my HL-1240 from 10 years ago. It was a splurge purchase for me and it's not let me down. The toner cartridges aren't too expensive and the drum is replaceable too.

Brother has excellent OS X support ... in fact, they were right on top of the OS 9 to OS X transition and every step since then.

Lastly, the 1240 works easily with Airport printer sharing. I'm assuming that their other lasers do as well.

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have a Canon MX 860, fantastic AOI. A little more than you wanted to spend, but I have absolutely no issues with it. I actually have it directly connected to USB on one PC, but the Mac's around the house use it wirelessly.

As far as ink, your screwed either way, they all suck it down in no time. I have an HP 7860? and I don't like it nearly as much as the Canon. The software is awkward on the Mac, although it does work.

14. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

sorry guys about not being more specific. I have always used color inkjets even though i rarely print color. currently i have a canon mp160 which is pretty old and not wireless and horrible on ink. I guess a multifunction color inkjet that is wireless

15. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

How much do you print, maybe per week or per month?

What kinds of things are you usually printing? Documents? Web pages? Photos? Brochures?

How many computers are you planning on connecting to the printer?

If you can give us more info, we can make a better recommendation!

16. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

not much .. just papers i have to write for a class .. or information from a website .. but no means am i printing alot ..

maybe 3-4 computers .. one is my laptop and also my desktop

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Do you really need color then?

I'd think you'd do better to get the HL-2170. It would be cheaper to operate, and they're reliable from what I've seen. :)

18. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i probably dont need color .. but i would hate to have to print something out in color and not have it .. also are any of these printers reasonably quiet .. because the mp160 is very loud

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

The HL-2170 is quiet.

If you need color, you can always go to a copy shop with the document on a USB stick, and pay only for the pages you need. ;) It's cheaper that way, and it doesn't seem like you'll be doing much of it. :D

20. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd definitely agree. With a cheap color AIO, it's a huge trade off in terms of efficiency. You'll be paying a LOT more for ink just to make color prints here and there.

I'd say get the HL2170, and if you NEED color prints down the road, either go to a Staples Copy Center (or similar) or buy a color AIO w/ networking. Prices will certainly go down in the future, or you'll find a good machine on clearance.

21. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

22. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

23. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks .. i just saw this in staples last night when i was buying my desk .. and it was only like 109