Decent media player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaymils83, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jaymils83 macrumors newbie

Can someone please direct me to a decent media player?!:confused:

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yes.

Directions:

- Open dock.
    - Click on iTunes

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not so much what im trying to play its the interface of the player. I hate the way itunes organizes my files and while VLC is a good all in one, it looks like a file folder.

and can people who can give me real answers respond. not just cult mac followers

thanks.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So why not just turn that feature off?

In response to your edit: I apologize, I won't help to answer your questions in the future if doing so is going to cause offence.

Attached Files:

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You could be more specific, you know. Like...telling us what you hate.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'm pretty sure he was talking to me. Apparently I am a cult mac follower.

8. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Boxee, Front Row (comes with OSX), and XBMC all have great interfaces and capabilities.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm offended on your behalf. ;)

Front Row isn't a media player, it's a glorified frontend for iTunes. You have no direct control over the music that goes in there.

10. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry it wasnt directed at you.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'm still waiting for what he specifically hates. If it's the "interface", he better sell his mac, because the design of iTunes fits right in with Leopard. That goes for basically any program.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Coming to a Mac forum, asking for help, then insulting people who respond is not very intelligent! If you want help, try being courteous! If you took the time to learn how iTunes works, you'd know that you don't have to let it manage your files.

13. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

specifically, one thing i don't like is that itunes separates albums if there is a featured person on the song.

If someone could tell me how to fix this it would make itunes slightly more bareable.

(2 things i should let you guys know 1. im a "she" not a "he" and 2. i am a very dissapointed "pc to mac" switcher. just got my first mac 2 weeks ago)

14. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

BlueRevolution, i agree Front Row is just a front end. But not necessarily a front end of itunes. I say this because it is more of a front end of your whole Mac you can play media from other places such as external drives and in other formats that are not itunes exclusive. but do agree its not a stand alone media player.

15. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

the person i was speaking of was not giving me real answers. for someone coming from a pc and using zune software (i know! blasphemy) i am very dissapointed with itunes. obviously i know i can click on itunes in the dock. it should have been obvious that i was looking for another solution. sorry if you take that as an insult. just trying to learn more about this machine i paid (too much) for.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, no one can determine your gender by looking at your member name. Second, you might not be so "disappointed" with your Mac if you calm down and take the time to learn how to use it, and how the programs work. iTunes can do whatever you want it to, if you spend a little time learning how it functions.
    They gave you a "real" answer. Many "newbies" come in here and don't realize what software they have on their Macs. If you don't want such general or basic suggestions, try being more descriptive of what you're looking for.

And if you feel you paid too much for your Mac, you can still take it back and get a refund.

17. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. im gonna try them.

18. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know that noone can determine gender by my name; thus the clarification. your absolutely correct, i have no idea what this machine can do. i've been trying to figure it out for 2 weeks and thats why im here now. however, i can be dissapointed in my initial view of macs if i want. and i am. but i came on here to get some info about it and i hope not everyone is a sensitive as you are. it might make this even more difficult.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not about anyone being sensitive. It's about you coming in here, not explaining plainly what you need, then calling the first responder a "cult Mac follower". That's rude! If you want to get help, it's best not to come in here with such an attitude. Ask nicely and you'll get nice responses. Explain completely what you need, and you'll get more specific help. It's called "courtesy"!

20. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

If you don't like that it seperates albums like that, just remove the "featuring..
    " tag. I.E.

an album like, let's say

Rap artist A featuring R+B artist A SONG 1(ALBUM)

is not going to show up in the list of songs that

Rap Artist A SONG 2 (ALBUM)

Does. I know, it's annoying. But it's not iTunes fault, it's the stupid tags. Just sort by the album name, press Command + A, right click on the songs (it will ask "edit information for multiple items?" click yes) and just change the artist to Rap Artist A.

That should solve that particular issue.

21. jaymils83 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks im def gonna have to devote a day or two (maybe a week!) to do that but ....gotta do what i gotta do!

22. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

if you don't iTunes, you can always try Songbird. BE AWARE: It's VERY similar to itunes, but offers lots of features that iTunes could never.

a good analogy would be...

Firefox is to safari (AS) Songbird is to iTunes.

Songbird has extensions that allow you to see upcoming concerts for all of the bands in your library, has integrated Last.fm support, and other things that give you access to tons of information about the music youre listening to.

I still use iTunes, but i have used songbird on my ubuntu box, and i love every second of it.

It also doubles as a web browser.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Everyone should have Plex

It plays everyhing I got using my Mac mini hooked up to my 40" Full HD Bravia!! (and uses the Apple Remote)

25. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I think iTunes is the best media player. As say that as a PC user, typing on Vista.

Quite a few people agree with this statement regarding the extremely capable media player, so don't be surprised or think that, just because iTunes has been recommended, only Macheads think that way.