Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I have an old school Razer Deathadder, one of the earlier ones and I've also held and used the 3500 DPI version. The Deathadder is easily the best mouse I have ever used. It's very comfortable to say the least about it. The software they include isn't bad, either. I cut my USB wire on it slightly though when rushing to remove a ziptie. :/ It still works but I don't really like to use it because I feel like something could go wrong with it. It's pathetically salvaged with electrical tape at the moment. My point is, it's a nice wire too with a gold USB receiver which is suppose to offer better reception or whatever but it's not strong enough to eat a viciously paced cut with a pair of scissors which is to be expected. :p

I have a Logitech B100 now which is a basic wired mouse. I'm not suggesting it for gaming but I am saying that if you don't need side buttons, software, or DPI, then consider a cheap mouse by a reputable manufacturer. Nobody really needs or desires more than side buttons really, a "gaming mouse" (and gaming keyboards alike) is a bit foggy in the sense that you can basically just get something cheaper that offers the same performance. It just so happens that the Deathadder is more comfortable and ergonomic than most mice I have used, and it comes with software and side buttons to boot.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I've been using a Magic Mouse and when my had gets sweaty, right clicks become left clicks. Very bad in SC2... a normal Microsoft mouse works fine otherwise.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
OK so I have had the mouse (Razer Orochi) for about 5 days now.

I have moved to a mouse from being a touchpad / Xbox controller guy.

The mouse is fairly small so if you have large hands this is not the mouse for you, i have normal/small hands and the mouse fits perfect and is very comfortable.

The first day was pretty bad as it was taking me some time just to get used to holding a mouse, so I took it easy left it on all basic settings and played some point and click games.

The software works great and I was able to map the extra buttons to do various extras like expose on OSX. I have not had any problems with the software at all, however it only works when the mouse is plugged in via USB.

I have mostly played TF2 with this mouse simply because i went from being middle of the scoreboard to now being top of the scoreboard. It is a world of difference from using a gamepad, I really did not realise what I was missing. I can tweak the mouse to exactly how i want it, my look speed is fast, I can move correctly and as a guy who always though being a sniper was impossible I can actually play that class now.

Getting a good mouse has opened up a whole world of games to me now that I never even played because of no gamepad support or impossible to play using the touchpad.

The bottom line is the mouse is great and was well worth £50 i paid for it, its very portable, great build quality and comfortable to use as long as you don't have large hands.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the report, Slick. I almost bought it the other day, but since I have the Naga I just couldn't convince myself to part with my money (or lack thereof). It'll probably be my next mouse though, since I yearn for wireless without a dongle.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Anybody have much success with the Magic Trackpad?

haha unless you're playing touch grind or angry birds forget it

i would love to see someone try to play SC2 with a bloody magic trackpad

Deathadder by far for me is the best gaming mouse out there at a reasonable price. I'm starting to get used to Magic Mouse for gaming... while it's nothing near my Deathadder I have no choice at this point because I have no mouse pad and my Deathadder doesn't track at all on my new desk.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Anybody have much success with the Magic Trackpad?

I've tried playing several games with the Track Pad and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's quite frustrating to say the least. I tried Star Craft 2, WOW, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 to name a few. Other then puzzle games and casual games you need a mouse for accuracy. :)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I've tried playing several games with the Track Pad and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's quite frustrating to say the least. I tried Star Craft 2, WOW, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 to name a few. Other then puzzle games and casual games you need a mouse for accuracy. :)

I played WoW for close to 4 years on macbooks with trackpads and never used a mouse haha.

All i used the trackpad for was clicking on mailboxes or opening items, just about everything else I had keybound and I used TAB for targetting enemies, I tanked my fair share of end game stuff when it was released in Naxx, Ulduar and Trial of the Crusader.

Then i moved to healing all of ICC and some heroic ICC and used healbot so just clicking on the person needing the heal with ctrl click, shift click modifiers for different abilities.

It worked for me but i assume for someone used to using a mouse it would have been some ordeal!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I use a Razor Naga, works really well with WoW. Bit of a learning curve to start with it, but once you get the hang of using the mouse its a great thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.