decent music library/player

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theplatform, Jul 18, 2008.

1. theplatform macrumors newbie

alright,
    so first off i have just started to dual boot my pc to run os x and xp. currently on xp i am running mediamonkey and i find this to be the best program for organising, playing, sorting, copying etc.

as i am new to the mac game can anyone help me find an equivelent to run on os x. i really need to hold the features of mediamonkey as i am trying out the mac for video editing and garageband.

the only program i am currently aware of is itunes, however i have used this before and it horribly basic and generally quite stressful to use.

any suggestions would be great.
    cheers

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Why don't you make a list of the key, absolutely fundamental features you're looking for.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you don't like iTunes then you are going to hate everything else.

4. theplatform thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so i need it to be able to handle 20gb + library.

it needs to be able to sort the columns by number of importance to me but in multiples. eg holding ctrl and clicking the order in which i want columns to be sorted by. sorry this is difficult to explain. ive never found another program which does this.

inparticular the last part is most important to me.

thanks for an already swift response

5. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I've not seen anything like that on a mac. Maybe using things like crossover, parallels, etc would be your solution.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

iTunes can do what you want on a more basic scale. Click the 'Album' title multiple times and you'll find it'll cycle through to Album by Artist, meaning your albums get grouped into their artists, then into their individual albums, even if they're compilations (compilations with no artist attached to the album as a whole get sent to the bottom).

I manage a 90 gb library (90 gb of music, 25 gb of movies), and iTunes is absolutely fantastic once you organise your music correctly. Agreed I don't like it if you have loads of individual songs or a badly tagged library, but once you've got everything nice and organised, there's no beating it.