Decent Optical Speakers

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'm buying an iMac G5 in a week or so (20" 2Ghz!) and I'm curious as to what speakers to buy to take advantage of the optical audio out. I haven't owned or heard a 5.1 system before, would they be worth it? Would an optical-based 2.1 system sound better than an analog-based 2.1? Also, if I bought a 5.1 system, would my stereo music play through all of the speakers?

Thanks!

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
iindigo said:
I'm buying an iMac G5 in a week or so (20" 2Ghz!) and I'm curious as to what speakers to buy to take advantage of the optical audio out. I haven't owned or heard a 5.1 system before, would they be worth it? Would an optical-based 2.1 system sound better than an analog-based 2.1? Also, if I bought a 5.1 system, would my stereo music play through all of the speakers?

Thanks!
you want a reciever that takes advantage of an optical input. speakers would they plug into the reciever.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
superbovine said:
you want a reciever that takes advantage of an optical input. speakers would they plug into the reciever.
Ahh well thanks for clearing that up :) I'm open for suggestions on good receivers then - also are there any small receivers? The ones I've seen look rather large, like a small VCR or something -

I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off sticking with analog.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I am looking for a receiver as well. it does not have to be digital, but it does have to be SUPER cheap ($100 or less?) and have those spring-loaded clips for attatching speaker wires(at least 2) and a 1/8" or 3/4" stereo input. it doesnt have to be really powerful. I am just trying to run a pair of 10" cabinet speakers from my iMac. does anyone have a piece of equipment like this lying around they would like to sell me? or does anyone know of a place online I could get a used Item like this cheaply? I tried ebay, but no go.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
iindigo said:
Ahh well thanks for clearing that up :) I'm open for suggestions on good receivers then - also are there any small receivers? The ones I've seen look rather large, like a small VCR or something -

I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off sticking with analog.
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=4

or you can buy the set decoder and the speakers.

I like this one because the airport express,playstation 2, and my dvd are plug in. however, you can buy better ones than this, but it gets the job done.