decent protective cases that dont double the iphones size?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThereGoesJB, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

my girlfriend is about to get an iphone and I know she is going to need some kind of case. I dont picture the iphone taking a fall the way her blackberry does.
    A guy I work with has this crazy otterbox case that looks like it would protect it from anything but it also makes it looks huge, i doubt she would go for it.

Not that she drops her phone all the time, but if she did i would like to think theres a chance it could survive without cracking that glass.

anyone with experience dropping their phone?

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I highly suggest you tell your girlfriend to wait to buy and iPhone because the iPhone 5 should be here very soon.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

ANY case that would protect, or hope to protect, your iPhone in a fall would make it bigger.

I hate cases and can only tolerate the Case Mate Barely There case which is good for a scratch or tow but offer zero protection for falling.

Even big fat cases like the Otterbox do not warranty you have no damage in a fall.

I agree with the others and say wait till the iP5 hits soon.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I agree she should wait for the next iteration of the iPhone, but to answer your original question...

The Otterbox you're referring to is the Defender. Yep, it's pretty big and kinda bulky, but it'll save the phone from a LOT of stuff.

My recommendation is to take one step down from the Defender and go with the Commuter. I've had one on my 3GS for almost 2 years and the phone doesn't have a scratch on it. But, I was in the same boat as you...about a year ago, my girlfriend decided she wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 4. Terror ran through me as I know she's GOING to (not just prone to) drop the phone. She's extremely hard on her cell phones, so I could just see the glass shattering within the first week...lol.

We picked up a Commuter for her iPhone 4 and it's held up beautifully (the phone, although the case has held up great too). Yes, she's dropped it countless times on concrete and there isn't a scratch on the thing and all the glass is still intact.

The one thing I'll say is this. I've never felt like the Commuter on my 3GS made it much bigger. But the one for the iPhone 4 does seem to (visually, at least) add some bulk. Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) like the Defender, but it does add a bit of size. But for the protection it provides, you can't beat it.

5. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reccomendations all, the commuter sounds like it might be a good option.
    I wish they would list the dimensions on their site.

she is waiting for the next iphone but since a lot of case companies seem to make similar case lines for each model (like the defender & commuter) i figured id get opinions on current brands/models.

6. mom333 macrumors regular

I have the Speck Candyshell on my 3GS. I've only dropped my phone a handful of times since I had it, but I'm sure at least one of those falls would have been enough to cause serious damage, had my case not been on there. I HATE the extra bulk, but the protection it provides is priceless. Will probably get the same thing for my iPhone 5. :p

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will also suggest the commuter case from otter box. I have both the defender and the commuter for my Atrix and honestly I hated the defender and would go caseless over using it because the bulk it added but also it was hard to get in and out of my pocket. The commuter gives me the protection and still able to go in and out of my pockets easily.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Speck Pixelskin HD, dropped mine 3-4 times on various surfaces and no damage at all.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

This.

I have an Otterbox Defender, Commuter and the HC Ballistic. Haven't used them in the six months I've had the Magpul.