Decent quick access bag for D90 with 18-105 kit lens????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gloor, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

just wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestion for a decent bag which I could buy for my D90 kit 18-105mm I plan to get this friday. I would prefer something that protects the camera but is also easy to access. Nothing fancy or expensive.
    Anyone has any suggestion pls?

Thanks in advance

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Lowepro Flipside 200. It swivels around in front of you while still around your waist, projecting out like a little table. You can actually make lens changes while standing or waking slowly. It's great. Best of all, since the opening faces your back, it's pickpocket-proof.

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow, that looks nice. I might consider that one. I actually had on mind on of those with a strip belt around your shoulder but this one looks very nice. Hmm, tempting :))

4. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I use a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. I absolutely love it. It looks great and holds my D90 nice and snug. It's also very light.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I use a Mountain Smith Tour FX for my camera bag. It's nice because tons of people carry all sorts of random things in Mountain Smith Lumbar packs so it flies under the radar pretty well. That's good for me because I have over $7,000 worth of gear with me on any particular shoot, and there have been a rash of camera thefts in my city lately.

It's designed as a camera bag so it has all the velcro dividers that other brands have, as well as the filter and battery pockets etc.

I can carry a Nikon D700, Nikkor AF-S 24-70 f/2.8, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 f/2.8, SB-900 flash (in it's protective case with gel filters and diffusers etc), extra battery, lens cleaning equipment, filters, AA batteries for the flash, And still have some space left over. It's heavy, but my gear is heavy so not due to the pack. It's also got some tie downs on the bottom which allow my tripod to be strapped to the bottom of the bag (though not all tripods may fit there).

Anyway, I am really pleased with the bag, and I got it for about $80.00

SLC

6. Woodrow72 macrumors member

Woodrow72

I use a similar system that SLC Flyfishing uses. I originally got the idea from that same bag that Mountain Smith has but didn't want to pay that much.

I found this bag at a local retailer
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Columbia-Sportswear-Big-Butte-Lumbar-Pack/1996629/product.html

and I already had this system from my Tenba messenger bag
    http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger--Removable-Photo-Insert.aspx

I have a D90 with the 18-105 lens. I can fit the body with lens attached in the main compartment. To the left I have a SB-600 flash in its pouch and to the right I have the 50mm1.8 and gary fong cloud diffuser.In the other compartments I have a black rapid sling, pelican case for my sd cards a spiral note books and other misc accessories.

I am extremely picky about bags and had gone through about 10 before this final set up. I like it because it holds everything and isn't bulky. It also doesn't scream CAMERA BAG!!!!! You can sling it around you shoulder and still comfortably shoot. You can swing the bag around front to access everything you need quickly and it is very comfortable on long walks. I just got back from Vegas and carried it the whole time. I walked from The Mandalay Bay to Treasure Island and back and my shoulder didn't hurt at all. I was also carrying a N90 S at the time.

I will post pictures tonight when I get home.

7. kostasw macrumors newbie

I got a LowePro SlingShot 100 (smallest in the range) but it is good size for the camera, the charger and a cleaning kit. As mentioned earlier, it swivels in front of you nicely and opens up facing you. It also has a built-in waterproof jacket which comes out from the base and covers the whole bag.

My main requirement was a lightweight yet functional camera bag for my 9-day bikeride last December. The SlingShot did the job to 100% of expectation. I was able to stop (but stay on the bike), sling the case from my back to the front without taking it off my shoulders, pop the camera out and take a few shots. Easy and safe.

I bumped into a few SLR owners who thought it was a great idea - both hands free, light and very functional

If I had another lens of flash, I would go for the SlingShot 200.

8. kostasw macrumors newbie

I got a LowePro SlingShot 100 (smallest in the range) for my D90 with the same lens - it is a good size and fit for the camera, the charger and a cleaning kit. As mentioned earlier, it swivels in front of you nicely and opens up facing you. It also has a built-in waterproof jacket which comes out from the base and covers the whole bag.

My main requirement was a lightweight yet functional camera bag for my 9-day bikeride last December. The SlingShot did the job to 100% of expectation. I was able to stop (but stay on the bike), sling the case from my back to the front without taking it off my shoulders, pop the camera out and take a few shots. Easy and safe.

I bumped into a few SLR owners who thought it was a great idea - both hands free, light and very functional

If I had another lens of flash, I would go for the SlingShot 200.

9. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If you're looking for a messenger style bag, check out the Tenba Small Messenger Bag. I got one in black for my D90 with 18-105mm and 35mm f/1.8 lenses. It's a really well-constructed bag, and it's got a bunch of pockets for accessories and even a 13" laptop. For quick access, it's got a zippered pocket that goes across the top of the bag that provides access right into the camera and lens pocket, so you can get to your gear without taking the bag off your shoulder.

I'm planning on selling mine, if you're interested. I tried to travel with this bag as my only carry-on, and it was just too small to work for me. Even if you buy it online or from somewhere else, I'd still recommend the bag.

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If you like sling packs, one of these Tamrac models might work. (I've got the Velocity 6x, which nicely fits my D60 + 16–85mm, 50mm f/1.4, charger, cards, and blower brush.)

11. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys for all the feedback. After checking all the options you have given me I decided to go for Lowepro Flipside 200 as I liked the overall usage. Others bag were good too but the Lowepro Flipside 200 won me over for my needs.
    Its currently on its way here so I hope it is as good and and useful as it looks at the web. :)))

D90 is waiting patiently in the box :))))

Thanks