Decent speakers ~$150

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pinyourwings22, Feb 16, 2010.

1. pinyourwings22 macrumors member

I'm looking for some decent speakers for video editing with my iMac(early 2009). Right now I'm primarily using headphones for all of my audio leveling, but I want to get some speakers for around $150(I know, it's not that much, but I'm on a tight budget).

If there is another forum that has a similar discussion, feel free to point me there. I couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post. Thanks

2. Mike P. macrumors newbie

I own a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV40 monitors. $150 @ Best Buy. On sale this week!
    They're a little heavy compared to other speakers but they produce very good sound. Not too much for bass but I don't think thats too much of a problem for video editing.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I second the Studiophile AV40s. I use a pair on my editing workstation. The sound is clean and dynamic for the size and they're a lot more accurate than most "consumer" 2.1 sets that sell for about the same money. Like mentioned before, they won't rattle your bones bass-wise, but you really don't need that for video editing.

BTW, $150 is the MSRP on these guys last time I checked. You might find them cheaper online.

4. pcypert macrumors 6502

If you can possibly save and do 50 bucks more I absolutely LOVE my Audio Engine A2's. Their great sounding but also neutral enough (for this price range) to do a pretty decent audio mix. Loving them in FC...

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am certainly no audiophile, but I use the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II

[​IMG]

6. mwchris macrumors regular

I know that I am going to get flamed for this but here is my thinking . . .

I wouldn't spend more than the $150 you mentioned. (I have a pair of edirols (sp?) that were around that price or less can't remember and they sound great. I believe they are a rebranded m-audio.) My opinion on editing sound is that you need to buy a mid-level type speaker/headphones. No need for the low end of high end stuff. The fact is that your clients are going to be listening on much lower quality devices most likely. For examples if my edits I find tune my levels and then I set my speakers flat or play it through generic TV speakers to make sure it still sounds ok for what my clients will be listening with.

Also, I think it varies significantly on what type of editing you are doing. If you are editing music videos than you need something that is going to reproduce good highs, mids, and lows. On the other hand, if you are editing talking heads than having good mids might be more important. Just a thought.

7. pinyourwings22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses. I like the M-Audio's mentioned from what I can tell, and the seem to be what I am looking for(amazon has them for like $125, and obviously, shipping everywhere for these speakers are around $13).

As far as headphones go, I have a decent set headphones which usually help me produce pretty good results. But for what I am doing(making videos for a student group on my campus), the videos are primarily played with large speakers in front of a large group, so that's why I wanted to get the speakers. Playing it out loud helps me get the feel for how is sounds when it is played in a room, as opposed to just someone's crappy computer speakers/headphones.(unless someone has a good argument against that logic)

When it comes down to it, I have to decide whether or not I want to pay $100+ on headphones or speakers, and right now, I am choosing speakers.

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG