Decent speakers for AirPlay with standby mode?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zama36, Dec 21, 2011.

1. zama36 macrumors member

Needing some help. Been jonesing for airplay speakers for my bedroom for sometime now. And finally made the leap on Black Friday and have been frustrated ever since.

B&W Zeppelin Air - This was $100 off on Apple's online store on Black Friday and with a little nudge from my audiophile friend, I placed the order. The Zeppelin has serious network issues with setup and general usage. Like the iHome iW1, the Zeppelin freaks out with the iPhone 4S. After discovering that and only streaming music from my iPad and Mac, the Zeppelin would still need to be power cycled almost every other day otherwise the Airplay stream would be choppy if it connected at all. So returned the Zeppelin. :mad:

Airport Express & Audyssey's LES Media Speakers - Less than the Zeppelin $$ wise, but not without it's issues. Streaming from the iPhone 4S works perfect. Speakers on the other hand. :rolleyes: The power brick is almost as big as one of the speakers alone. The second speaker doesn't work at all. And the automatic standby mode doesn't come out of standby with an incoming audio signal.

Does anyone know of decent speakers that will go into and out of standby mode by an incoming audio signal or lack there of? They don't need to have Airplay like the Zeppelin or iW1, because I've come to realize that most of the systems out there don't have 802.11n which just seems stupid considering Airplay is reliant on a decent, fast wireless network. :eek:

2. DOMCHO101 macrumors newbie

What about the JBL On Air Wireless? I'm seriously considering it....

3. zama36 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, still only 802.11b/g.

4. zama36 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so I realized that there may be some confusion on why I'm insisting on 802.11n. Airplay works fine with 802.11g but with my network and the surrounding networks it seems best if I move to 802.11n exclusively. Hopefully, dual band. I have OTA TV being streamed across my wireless network from Homerun HD as well as other network capacity consuming apps. On top of that I have at least 10 networks competing for the same frequencies.

5. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

6. sbessel macrumors newbie

I am confused why more people don't go the Airport Express route.

With the AirPort Express you can make any stereo, radio or any device with an audio input an AirPlay compatible device.

I have one in my garage connected to an old boom box I had laying around, I have another in my living room connected to an older bookshelf system.

Since I had these already making them Airplay compatible was only the cost of the AirPort Express ($99) took only a couple of minutes to setup.

Now along with my AppleTV's I can stream the same music throughout my house with very little hardware investment, it was great for the holidays.

I really can't see spending $300 - $500 for a single minded device, especially when you can get a great portable, or bookshelf system with great sound for a LOT cheaper. And Bluetooth units are not an option if you are looking to stream the same content.

(and if I wanted I could use the Airport Express' to extend my wireless networks at the same time)

Scott

7. NYRangers11 macrumors member

Is there an audio plug in the airport express?

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

9. sbessel macrumors newbie

It is not just a 3.5mm audio plug but an actual digital optical output as well, it provides excellent audio quality out.

Scott